Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Power Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeonD, Jun 8, 2001.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

In all the talk about power amps, I never see any mention of Peavey.

I have an old Peavey CS-800 power amp that's probably about 15 years old (give or take a few years). When I first got it, I had a friend check it out. This friend is very into electronics but not into music. I view this as a good thing; he isn't biased by name brands. To him, a Rogue amp is just as good as an Aguilar, until he opens it up and sees what's inside.

Anyway, he looks inside and can't believe how well it's made. He used the term overbuilt and thought it had the quality of a lot of commercial electronic equipment he's worked on.

So what's the general consensus on Peavey power amps being used for bass? I see them in PA's all time but I almost never hear of anyone using them as a bass power amp.

LeonD

2. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    The original CS 800 has a well earned reputation of being practically indestructable, but they are way heavy. The old 5 rack space models weighed in at 68 lbs, and the later three space models weighed a little less (48 lbs).
    The old Max Bass amp from the mid 80's was essentially a CS 800 power amp with the old Combo 300 preamp. It's heavy, but has plenty of power and is very reliable. It was 400 watts X 2 into 4 ohms, and self biamp capability with a built in crossover.

These days, there are lighter alternatives. The current GPS and DPC series amps are not quite as "overbuilt" as the old CS amps were, but they are much lighter and have more power.

3. prom-1

prom-1

Nov 8, 2000
    I use a Peavey IP-4C power amp. It's 250 watts per channel. I used it bridged. I guess I've had it at least 3 years and have used it as a guitar amp and I'm using it for bass now. The only thing I don't like about it is that the internal fan is very loud in a low volume situation. However, I never notice it when I'm practicing with the band. I used it for guitar a few times at church, and when the preacher was having prayer between songs, the fan would kick on and off which was kind of embarressing since it's so loud.

4. They cut the weight by going to switching power supplies and eliminating the heavy transformer/capacitor (read: reliable) power supplies.

My QSC MX series amp weighs 69 pounds. Ultra reliable, transformer powered, and heavy. Compare this to the 21 pounds of the QSC PLX series which is a switching type power supply.

As for loud cooling fans, I suspect this one is working at maximum due to the bridged-mono operational mode. With an 8-ohm load on a QSC amp in bridged-mono mode, the internal configuration operates as if both channels are running a 4-ohm load. It gets worse if you have a 4-ohm cabinet hooked up in B/M mode, because each amp channel operates as a 2 ohm load. This is where it runs the hottest and has the most stress on the amp.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been using a CS 800x in my bass rig the past couple of months, and have no complaints with it at all. Plenty of power, and it hasn't ever let me down. The fan is kind of loud, but the only time I notice that is when I am not playing.

We use all Peavey power amps for our PA, too, and have never had a bit of problems with any of them. So, I guess I think they are pretty darn good amps.:D:D:D

Ryan

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    What is everyone's opinion on this single space 15 lb. power amp. I just found it on the website today and it looks very interesting.

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    We use Peavey PV-2000's in our pa rack without a complaint. I dont have any experience with the DPC series.

Mike

8. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a peavy musician, the bastard is heavy as all hell. The person from music-go-round told me it was designed to be a good guitar amp and a good bass amp. The good thing i love about it is that it has an eqalizer and a phaser in it. The thing i don't like is that the reverb is broken, but its not like i use that anyway and that the pre gain also means distortion so i can't turn it much past 2 1/2 on the pre gain and then i turn the post gain up, i hope that i can figure out a way to mess with the EQ to get a good bass sound with plenty of highs, and little distortion. I am gonna call my friend and have him tell me what is on the EQ, and then i will post it up somewhere for some cool settings. Wow, seems like i changed subjects alot there.