Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Feb 14, 2003.

1. So what's the low down on peavey power amps? I know where to get them cheap, and I like the ddt compression concept, but I'm a fan of high quality gear. I remember my peavey mega bass amp (400W) had good raw power, but definatly had the distinctive peavy sound I wish to avoid. Are there power amps excelent, very good, good, not so good, or bad? Any comments? Who uses peavey power? I really want good clean clear power?

2. The Peavey CS-800s is a good poweramp; in fact, I'll pick one up (second hand) this weekend. :D
    It's 2x400watt at 4ohm and it's only 2U rackspace, and quite light if I remember correctly.
    They are reliable amps (that's what I read on this board) for PA usage and also good for bassamplifier racks. But please do a search, they're quite a few good topics about these power amps around.

There's also the DCP1400 (or was it DPC?), a one unit power amp. Quite expensive.

I don't know if Peavey are the cleanest poweramps around but they're very sturdy and reliable. I guess they won't break very quick. Also, they ain't expensive compared to QSC and others (at least over here in Europe).

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't know much about the CS series amps but the GPS series is very good. That's especially true for the GPS 2600 & 3500 which are essentially Crest Audio designs. The CS series is definitely less expensive.

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    For bass guitar, any of them are just fine. Even the new PV/Crest CPX series would do great. QSC's RMX/PLX line are also excellent. Put the money in your preamp! Power amps are a commodity item these days.

Kim

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If there's one piece of Peavy gear I'd consider buying, it's their high end power amps. I've seen ordingary sounding PA systems transformed into monsters by changing to Peavy power amps. I've never seen them used as a bass rig though.

6. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I've been using a DPC 1000 poweramp with my Alembic F1-X for a few years now. It works great and sounds good. I really like having 1000 watts in a single space, 11 pound unit.

7. Peavey power amps use to be really heavy and have rather dirty sound. (old CS800) On the other hand, they were loud and very rugged. I've seen them operate with a dead short on the output and still keep on trucken. I think the newer stuff is a lot cleaner. All in all you arn't going to get burned by buying Peavey. In my opinion, though, I think the QSC RMX series is a better buy.

8. jiji87

jiji87

Feb 18, 2003
    what does a power amp do