Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Powered 2x10 cab - $125

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by CYoung, Jun 1, 2003.

1. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    This is and odd 1980s era Peavey *powered* cabinet with two 10" speakers. It was designed for use as the high-end portion of a bi-amp bass rig or as a standalone powered cab for use as a monitor speaker. Speakers are in good shape and the electronics are fine. Exterior has a couple of small splotches, but no tears that I can see.

The thing sounds a bit mid-rangey by itself, but an enterprising tinkerer could add a tweeter or port the cab if you need a more diverse sound.

The interior amp drives 210W into the two internal speakers (which total 4ohms), but you can drive two more 8 ohm cabs external and get a total of 300w. I have used this in the past as a monitor for the drummer while pushing two monitor speakers off the speaker jack. It can get quite loud!

This thing is extremely heavy, so if you want it shipped, you will have to pay for shipping from Gainesville, FL. If you are close to this area, e-mail me if you want to see the unit in person or pick it up in person.

I am starting the asking price at $125, but open to trading for bass and audio goodies. Basically, I don't need this amp any more and I hope to either get a few $ for it and send it to a good home or trade it for something useful.

Looking for: neat P-bass bodies, effects pedals, small monitor speakers, bass goodies.

Attached is several pics of the unit.

Terms:
    - If you pick up directly from me: cash or trade only
    - If I ship, you will pre-pay with a USPS money order. If we agree on a trade, we'll work out the details in e-mail.

e-mail me at caloos2000 at yahoo.com

Reasonble offers will be entertained. Unreasonable offers will be considered by my pet monkey, Simbu, and then he may or may not throw poop at you depending on whether or not he likes your offer.

2. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    The power amp controls. Note how it is designed to slave to other powered cabs via teh AUX feed.

3. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    This is the speaker out jack. Note the panel with the specs on it next to the jack.

4. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I will warn everyone, this thing is good old-fashioned 1980s era Peavey-style HEAVY. Shipping is possible, but will cost you. If you are within a few hours or so driving distance from Gainesville, FL, delivery *may* be arrangeable.

5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    How heavy is it?

6. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    The web site actually does not list the exact weight, but it is at least 75 pounds. Of course, when you consider that it has 2 speakers and a 300w amp in it, that is not bad!

7. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Is it a tiltback cabinet?

8. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Sorry, no tilt-back. The thing was designed more to sit on top of a bass stack. I have used some creative carpentry in the past to make a small stand to angle it back 45 degrees or so for use as a powered monitor.

9. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I have had a few private e-mails on this, but no one has called me yet.

Bump

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That's because we fear Simbu. :D

Will you trade it for an Altec 24 band notch filter?

11. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    24-band notch filter? Wow, what was that thing for, studio work or something.

Sorry, don't have much need for a filter of that type. Got any PA stuff or bass parts?

12. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    what would happen if you used a preamp and plugged into this thing? :eek: would it be bad for it? Or what if you just did straight from the bass? Is this any different from any standard bass amp combo?

13. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I hooked up a preamp to this once just to see what it sounds like. The Peavey manual recommends not running a full-on bass guitar signal through it; it was meant to do the above 100Hz part of a biamp stack. When I tried it, it worked, but the non-ported cab would clip if you really pounded on the E string. With straight music or as a monitor, it is ok, as long as you roll off the music below about 60Hz.

I really think an enterprising hoobyist could yank out the old 10s and replace them with better units and add a tweeter and the result would be a slammin powered monitor cab. A later version of the cab did just that and is really cool! I just don't feel like doing this right now.....