Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey pro 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Feb 26, 2002.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    today i had a chance to check out peavey's new pro 410. from what i understand, its a 410 version of the 210 cabinet that is part of teh BAM combo.
    just for reference it was being powered by my carvin R600 series 2 head. 600 watts 4 ohms bridged. the cab is rated at 700 watts RMS, 1400 watts program, and i think 2800 watts peak. not that i know what all these numbers mean (aside form RMS)

first thing i noticed, it looks a LOT like a D-410XLT. slot ports on both top and bottom, the size is about the same, black carpet, etc.

aside from the looks, the sound was entirely different. it could have just been that i had changed teh settings on my amp a bit. (ive also tested a D410 XLT with this head) but this cab doesnt have the low mid "hump" as most people refer to it of the eden. I liked the sound better. it was much more of a hifi quality. when i scooped the mids, and boosted only the lowest freqency on teh parametric eq (60 Hz i believe) along with the highs, i got an incredible jazz tone. very modern and smooth. i really liked this sound. the cab also functioned well with a midrange-boosted funk/rock setting. it handled slapping very well, right down to the low B string. the high end coming out of the horn wasnt too painful either, it was very tasteful.

Another similarity i noticed to the D410XLT was the sensitivity. with the volume on my bass wide open (active), gain on the preamp at noon, and the master volume on the head at 3/12, this thing ROARED! if i seriously had the balls to turn it up to 6 in the store my ears would have bled. a VERY loud cabinet. now i didnt crank my head past 3, so i cant tell you how the cab would handle my masochistic "smilie" eq settings, but at the volume i played it at, the thing didnt complain a bit. I found it much better suited to the hi-fi jazzy tone than the mids-boosted funk-rock tone.

now for the price. it was marked as being $1k list. the guy in the store at the time offered one still in the box to me for $800 without me even asking. so i am thinking these could be had for $700 bucks new.

is peavey now trying to compete with eden, aguilar and the likes in the high sensitivity 410 catagory? it kind of looks like it to me. although the sound is not the typical rock tone (at least not what i got out of it) at this price, they may be serious competition to deal with.

anyways, i know this was kind of an unsolicited review, but i would be interested in hearing all of your opinions on this thing as well, and how you think it compares to the eden/ag/etc. cabinets. im not looking to buy, i'm just a guy with an engineers mind whos a little bored :).

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Can't wait till my pro 2x10 comes in.

Also the cab isn't identical to the bam. It has slightly different speakers, but it is very similar to the Bam.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Ok I just demoed a pro 4x10 today. I was using a BAM combo, so its speaker modeling might have effected it a little, but I still think I got a good idea of its sound.

I'd agree with SRSiegle that it is a VERY high-fi cab. It had a nice well defined sound. It has some nice punch, but it didn't have a big hit you in the chest factor. It would cut through nicely in a band situation.

It sounds very similar to the BAM cab. To me though it seemed to have less low end. It also wasn't as fat as the BAM, and had more mids.

I thought it was a huge improvement over the TXF series.

The tweeter is also very nice, no hiss, and nice crisp highs.

If you combined this Cab with a nice 15, or something that can cranck out the lows I think it would sound amazing! It just didn't have quite enough stand alone low end for my taste.

I didn't buy it but it seems like a very nice cab, that would suite some people's needs very well.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmm, something I will have to check out. While I love my Ampeg cabs, I am always on the lookout for something I might like better. ;)

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It's said and done, nearly. :)

BAM head + Pro 410 coming up, as soon as I have money. :)

Did anyone see them, and figure out the price? I'm trying to see how much I'll need.

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    They told me they'd give to me at a GREAT deal of $799 for the cab! :rolleyes: LOL.
    I'd imagine you could get the cab for $700 though with a little talking. The list $999. I haven't seen any Bam heads however.

BTW CE, while your at it, try a Bam with a Kosmos in the Loop! It is sweet!

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I definitely will. I forgot what the kosmos does to be completely honest. I remember looking at it, on the "winter 2002 releases" page of Peavey's.

What exactly does it do?
    Another thing that makes me curious... If the Pro 410 matches the BAM well, what about the Pro 115?

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't seen a Pro 115. I don't think they are in production quite yet. They look cool though, and they don't use blackwidows!!!:D

The kosmos is a sub harmonic generator. It basically just makes things sound alot fatter, but it doesn't add mud. It also puts the highs in stereo. I even use it for jazz shows now. Dirk Lance of Incubus has a sub-harmonic generator, but it is an older one.

You might not like it, but its worth checking out. I like my Bam set on C3, and the Kosmos with Quake 1.5 (subharmonics), Thud 7 (Low end boost), and Xpanse (stereo) Full. Play with it on for awhile and then turn it off, thats what convinced me.

Either way that Bam head and pro 4x10 should be a sweet rig.

O yeah just one word of advice. Rember to turn the tweeter off on the 4x10 when your modeling cabs without tweeters.