Peavey Pro 500 Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fast slapper, Apr 29, 2002.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Has anyone seen it, heard it, or own one? If so how is it?
  2. I've seen pictures in a catalog, and it looks OK, but it's rated at 500w into 2ohms, which means probably about 175 into 8. I dont like the way Peavey rates their amps at 2 ohms, even if they can go that low. It's deception in my estimation, because average Joe aint gonna lug around 4 8ohm cabs.
  3. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I've only seen it on their web site but like Marty said most folks aren't carrying around any cabs equaling out to 2 ohms. I have the Firebass II which puts out 700 watts @ 2 ohms but there is also an increase in distortion as well. I wish Peavey would go back to the idea like the Kilobass which had alot of power pluse was rack mountable, which is the one thing that I can't do with my Firebass.
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That would great if they did come out with something that was similar to the Kilobass. It's a great amp in my opinion and I own one. The newer Peavey heads look great on paper but they are just under powered to me.
  5. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    The only one I have played was the prototype. It was pretty nice. It reminded me of the T-Max, except there is a true parametric eq instead of the graphic eq. The sound was nice and fat, but you do have to tweak a bit with the eq to dial it in.

Most Peavey Bass cabs are available in 4 ohm versions, so two of those comes out to 2 ohms and gets the full power. Unless you are in a really loud band, 500 watts is a decent amount of power.

Peavey is about to market a more powerful bass package, which will consist of a DPC 1400X power amp and a Max preamp in a two space rack case. I am not sure what it will be called yet, but I think they are calling it the Max Bass FC or something. This is a rig that a lot of our touring endorsees are using, and is even more power that the Kilobass (1400w @ 2 ohms).
  6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd be interested in that amp especially if it has the ability run a 2 ohm load in stereo, 4 ohm load bridged and has 1400 watts of power. I don't know if I'll ever need to run at 2 ohms in stereo but it would nice to have in a pinch. The ability to run a 4 ohm load bridged is pretty attractive as most big cabs, 610 or 810, tend to be rated at 4 ohms. I've got a Max preamp also and I really like it also. Sounds like that's going to be a killer combination. Any idea about how long before it hits the market?
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, hauling four 8-ohm cabs to a gig would be kind of assinine, but hauling two 4-ohm cabs is fairly practical. I would consider myself an average Joe and I lugged two 4-ohm cabs to all of my gigs.

A Peavey Firebass II + a 4-ohm Sonic 6x10 + a 4-ohm Peavey 1x15 = enough stage volume to be heard over my ultra-loud guitarist.

;) :D
  8. I agree with rcrimm - I own a T-Max and the Pro 500 shares a lot of characteristics that seem similar.

Also, I agree that hauling 2 4 ohm cabs is typical so kudos to Peavey for the 2 ohm load capabilities.

The DPC seems like a great power amp and I can attest that the Max is an excellent pre-amp. I use one with a mackie 1400i.

Here's a link to pics of my stuff.

9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    What would be a better buy,Mesa Walkabout(300@4),or the Pro 500(350@4)? Both go for about the same price.($800)
  10. Leland Sklar has been using a Peavey DPC power amp for quite a while, I dont know of anyone else tho.
  11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Vinnie Hornsby of Sevendust, Nate Mendel of the Foo Fighters, Jervonny Collier of the Bruce Hornsby Band and the bassist from NEVE are a few. I'm sure that there are more. Manny Yanes, who plays with Patty Labelle, uses two Kilobass heads.