Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Pro series cabs...dissapointed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Jan 13, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I was looking through the Peavey website and checked out the Pro series cabs. The website red that the 410 pro cab is 700 watts program...the rms rating is only 350! come on! For a cab that costs $999 that is a bit ridiculous since you cant even run a high powered head or pre amp/power amp set up with it..does anyone have any expreience with the Peavey Pro series cabs?

2. with a 350W cabinet, you could use an amp up to 700W (hence the 700W program rating). you could use an even bigger amp if you know what you're doing. rating cabinets with a program rating twice its RMS rating is pretty common practice in almost all sectors of loudspeaker design. and it's not even shenanigans like rating a power amp for peak power instead of RMS.

700W into 4O is pretty big amp. amps that are capable of 700W into 8O are usually pretty large. i guess i don't know what you mean by "high powered head". pretty much any head by peavey, GK, mesa, ampeg, or eden could be used with a single 4O or 8O Pro 410. and if you really need that much volume, you can use two cabinets.

i don't really see the problem.

robb.

3. I'd also suggest that Peavey rates their speakers conservatively as opposed to the optimistic ratings you see on a lot of speaker cabs.

I used to bridge a CS1200x into a 410TX and often ran it to limiting, with no problems at all.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I was under the impression that you should look at the RMS ratings when shopping for cabs - I was told this is what matters most, not the program ratings. I guess I am still unsure of the difference between the two.

5. the RMS is rating is important if you're running sine waves, but most bass gutiar is very dynamic, which means the continuous sustain is much lower in level than the dynamic attack.

in other words, you'll be hard pressed to make a bass guitar output sine waves. therefore, a more reasonable rating to follow for amplifier power is the program rating, if there is one. for cabs that don't have a program rating, a good rule of thumb is twice the RMS rating (which, uncoincidentally, is what most manufacturers use for a program rating).

in the real world, what that means is more like this: i have a bergantino HT-112, rated at 300W RMS. i use a crest pro 7200, which makes 625W per channel (single channel driven). i have to take it a little easy sometimes, but in general i'm very safe with that amp/cab pairing.

and Mark is correct: peavey is very conservative in their ratings. i'd feel safer putting 700W to a 350W RMS peavey cabinet than just about any other mainstream manufacturer.

if you're curious, i can go into what each rating means and why speakers are rated that way. there are plenty of people around here who know that.

robb.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm sure that cab will be fine with more wattage than 350.

The only beef I have with Peavey's wattage ratings are on their heads. The rating they give their heads are at 2 ohm loads, which hardly anyone uses. For example, the Pro 500 is only a 500 watt amp at 2 ohms. Kind of misleading if you ask me, when a "normal" load, that is, the one most people use, is usually 4 (or 8) ohms.

7. i used to be much more offended by that than i am now. i mean, i agree with you, but even mesa does that (see big block 750). even eden does it with their WT 1550. the only reason the mpulse 600 doesn't do it is because it's not rated to 2O.

ultimately, i do enough research when i'm looking for gear that the number after the name is a minor annoyance.

but i think you're right, and i know a lot of people who've pointed that out.

robb.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I heard a guy playing through a Peavey 4X10 in a club in Orlanda one time a few years ago. He was pushing it with an Ampeg SVT Pro that was rated at over 1000 watts. He was loud! The cabinet didn't break up. He told me he'd been using it for a year this way without problems.

You can't believe everything you read in Bass Player or other magazines.

9. Program watts Is RMS watts read speaker cab ratings they rate them Peak and Program watts. The peak is self-explanatory, Program being the other rating and usually The lower of the two would be the RMS or continuous power Rating. IIRC

10. this is incorrect. i'll go through the whole routine, just so there's no confusion. there are three main ways which speakers are rated: RMS, program, and peak.

speakers are rated RMS for the purposes of specifying thermal management. the RMS rating shows how much continuous signal a speaker's voice coil can handle before thermal damage (i.e. melting or burning) occurs. continuous sine power above the RMS rating will cause thermal damage.

program power is a rating that provides a guide for amplifier RMS power. in this example, a peavey Pro 410 is rated for 700W program, which means that you can safely use an amplifier rated up to 700W RMS into the impedance of the speaker (if it's a 4O Pro 410, an amplifier rated up to 700W into 4O is safe; anything above 700W into 4O would not necessarily be safe).

finally, speakers are rated for peak power handling to give an idea of how much signal it can receive before its suspension begins to bottom out. in this case 1400W peak means that the speaker can sustain instantaneous peaks of up to 989W RMS. it's not recommend, however, that you use an amplifier that large for two reasons. the first is that you risk damaging your speakers by asking more of them than they can provide (this is called over excursion), or by causing the suspension to bottom out (the voice coil inside the speaker actually makes contact with the back plate). the other reason is that you risk providing too much RMS power (exceeding the 350W RMS rating) and causing thermal damage to the voice coil.

the safest bet is to use an amplifier between the RMS and program ratings.

just so you know.

robb.

11. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Not anymore!

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Good deal then! I'm far from a Peavey Basher. Like I've mentioned before, I really dig the Peavey basses, and the amps offer great value for the buck.

13. Not really . . . i know i use 2ohm most of the time . . .

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I typically run 2 or 2.67...

- georgestrings

15. You're killing me!! :D

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I didn't really mean for this to turn into a "I run a 2 ohm load" thread. After all, even if 20 or 30 people post here that they do, it certainly doesn't mean "most" bass players do. I'd guess it is a very small minority. Anyway, I'm curious to see Peavey's new offerings, which I believe was being hinted at!

17. It still relates to peavey cabinets
    Aside from the power rating how do the pro series sound,
    IMO they are looking alot like MESA and the price is in that ballpark, do they sound close? Is that what there going fo in that series?

18. Tis fair enough, and i agree, cant wait to see the new offerings, maybe a new Classic 400 or all valve bass head? surely they must be working on one, the peavey valve amps seem to be gaining lots of popularity, so it would make sense for them to have a bass all valve amp <hopes>

19. i wish i could tell you. i have played through pro cabs before, but only in the "fishbowl" at the headquarters. i have never had the chance to compare them to anything else.

i really like the sound, but that's worth about nothing. i would call then clean and powerful.

robb.

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Indeed Peavey drivers and cabs are conservatively rated. And I don't see anything wrong with naming heads after their 2-ohm ratings - not uncommon with SR power amps after all. I suspect that more bass-oriented manufacturers would also do this if their products could be counted on to reliably deliver at 2 ohms.