1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

peavey pvh cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crowd crusher, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hey now! I'm wondering if Anyone's gotten hold of one of the new pvh cabs? I've been holding off buying a new cab for months, waiting for the 410 AMS got a few in,not enough to fill all the backorders. And I guess I was far enough the line where I'll have to wait for the next shipment. Just looking for your thoughts on sound, build, and overall awesomeness of any of the pvh line. Thanks!

2. Me too. It seems every time a new product comes out - especially when it's long awaited, folks on Talkbass rush to be the first on their block to check it out.

3. So. I finally got my pvh 410. It was on my doorstep when I got home from work about an hour ago. I'll update when I get to plug it in. But it looks great, the carpet covering is tight, the grill looks great. And everything seems fairly heavy duty. Update to come later, after I piss of the wife and the neighbors

Attached Files:

Thundar, reggie hall and Gluvhand like this.
  4. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Sheesh, how mad did you make them?

Bassic Playing likes this.
  5. reggie hall

reggie hall

Oct 16, 2015
    florida
    Wish it had castors

6. Lol. The wife wasn't too mad. I have her fair warning...the cab is heavy. But there are holes for casters on the bottom...huge low end in this cab. Sounds great. Homerun for peavey w this one!

7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Voiced kind of like Ampegs 410HLF?

8. I'd say it's different. I've only played a 410hlf a couple times...not with my current rig either. But I'd say the peavey can handle more lows...and I'm pretty sure the power rating on the pvh is a lot higher too. I really can't be as specific as you'd prob like...I just don't have enough experience w the ampeg. Sorry

9. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    One thing I would say about the 410 is that I don't think it has exaggerated lows, and it really doesn't have a whole lot of "voicing". The 10's have higher excursion than any of the 10's we've used in the past and will handle some serious lows if that's how you set your amp.

Some of our past cabs, such as the 410TVX, have a really prominent and thick upper bass response. Some people may call that "boomy". I think that sometimes cabs voiced like that are better with lower powered amps, and can sound a bit over the top with a modern amp with higher power. These days, we have the power and speaker technology for REAL lows.

10. I've been using my pvh 410 with my rst custom effects tube pre,a crown xls1000. AnD for effects a DigiTech bsw into an rst green Russian muff, all in an ls-2 with the blend set at about half...I have the bsw on setting 7 (octo-sub). The low end coming through is huge. It shakes my pantlegs. And I like my pants tight ;).

Attached Files:

11. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    You're bridging that crown, right?

12. Yes. Bridging the crown

13. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    That should a pretty good pairing power wise, at least according to the crown spec, never used that one.

14. I think it's handling it well...the crown isn't pegged...no need.. Its plenty loud. My preamp is cooking and I'm about 60% on the crown.. Really a nice solid cab. I love it. Thanks! Killed it w this one @bbybld

15. Hey Bbbybld, I was really looking forward to checking out the new cabs but the weights are just out of the question for me, and I'm sure many others. Are there any plans in the works for some that are Neo based for us GOF's?

4StringsEnough likes this.
  16. Hey Crowd crusher, did you buy casters for your? I'm wondering what size to get.

17. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    We sell them in our accessory program. Link. I've tried to get us to carry a pack without the superfluous socket hardware, but no such luck.

I've heard that the Ernie Ball ones work (Also comes with SSH). I looked them up online at SW, and they look like they'd work from the pics, but they don't list the measurements. I've seen a few others as well.

18. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I have 2 of the old 90's 1516 cabs (stacked on their sides they are pretty awesome but the 1502 BWs are a bit aggressive), how would the new PVH 1516 (or 2) compare? DO they have the Hi/Low inputs like their predecessors? Could a new PVH 1516 replace my 2 Hartke Hydrive 112s? I just scored a miniMega so am thinking about cab upgrades... The PVH 212 looks interesting too but I's rather not have a horn.

19. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    They are very different. The new ones go lower, have more power handling, and I think the crossover is better. The 15" used in the new one is pretty much a subwoofer. The new one does not have the bi-amp inputs.

Porkchop2 likes this.
  20. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Interesting. The old ones were crossed over at 600Hz. Where is the crossover point for the PHV1516s? Just curious how much work those 8s will be doing.. How well do they like fuzz and overdrive? I’ll bet an Octaver would like the 15…