1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey PVH1516 VS Peavey PVH212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CarmenWilliams, Aug 7, 2019.

1. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    So I posted a similar thread earlier. I have an old Peavey Model 215 and the speakers are going out. I've been debating on whether getting two new 15's because I love it, or just getting a PVH212. But I didn't know they brought back the old 1516. Now I'm not sure what to do. It has one 15 and two 8's. Are the 8's enough to punch through?

2. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    According to Peavey:

PVH212 - Great for dropped timings (which I play)
    PVH1516 - Great for distortion and overdriven amps (which I play)

Help!
    My guitarist plays a 212 and I feel like my 215 pairs perfectly with that. So would the 212 or 1516 be downgrading?

3. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I do not play Peavey but my understanding from players who use it, is the 212 is a very dark sounding cabinet, and it weighs in at 77lbs so those would be 2 things to consider.
    As for downgrading I dont think so...I play through 4 12s and it can crack foundations, no issues with volume or feeling "less than".
    Just by driver config alone, I gotta figure the 1516 will give you low mid punch and high mid cut...that would be my choice based on the 2 you have up.
    Rock on.

CarmenWilliams likes this.
  4. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
  5. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018

Thanks! That helped. I'm running a Peavey MiniMax head as well (the 500 watts one). Which I love.
    In really leaning towards the 1516. I'm just hoping it sticks out. My 215 stands out really well when we play live and those speakers arent even working completely. So that says alot.

What would the difference between the two 8's versus the tweeter on the PVH212 be? Since I'm assuming they're both meant to do the same thing right?

6. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I used to have a GK 400RB with Peavey 1516 (4-ohm old model), played 6-string basses with this rig for about 20 years. I found it cut through really good. Still miss that rig sometimes. That cab was well rounded for lows up to high mids, was a nice size and not too heavy.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. I had an old 1516 which I constantly overpowered and kept popping the 15". I believe the specs on the new one are way better in the world of 350-500-800 watt amps. My only suggestion is - make sure it is off the ground to be able to hear it better.

8. I'd probably just replace the drivers in your 215 if it were me. But if you're set on a new cab, I'd probably go with the 212. I've heard and played through on and they are stout sounding. I haven't heard the new 1516, but I wasn't as big a fan of the older models as I was of the bigger 1820 cab.

eriky4003 and CarmenWilliams like this.
  9. SickAura

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    The new PVH1516 is pretty different than the old (I have both).

It is slightly bigger physically, has way more lows, more clarity, can handle everything my MiniMega can throw at it (700 watts at 8 ohms?) and actually breaks up nicely when pushed a little. It crosses over at 300hz vz 600hz - and @BbbyBld posted a while back that they put a really solid crossover in it - which was a weak point in the old cabs

To answer your question, the 8s really help cut through the mix sounding full and rich without being thin or clanky on the highs. A tweeter will certainly add a little more brightness and sparkle to your highs if you like that sort of the thing.

I am not an anti-tweeter guy - I find they have their uses with many cabs and I never usually turn them right off though I often turn them down.

However, I really don't miss one with these 8s. I've also owned a fEARful 15/6/1 and I greatly prefer the 8s to that combination.

One big consideration for you running the mMax is that with your 215 it was running at 4 ohms - so the full 500 watts. With both the PVH212 and 1516 you will be running at 8 ohms which is approx 300 watts.

You may notice the difference.

10. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018

I didn't even think about the ohms!
    Ok side question, if I were to replace the 15" speakers and get new ones that are rated at 300 watts each and they're 4ohms. The 500 watt amp will split up and deliver 250watts into each speaker right?
    Or do I need speakers that can handle 500 watts each?
    Sorry I've never been good with how speakers work

11. SickAura

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    Yes in this case each speaker will receive half the wattage.

Best thing to do is to replace them with the exact same speaker. If those are not available contact Peavey to see what they suggest as a replacement.

The reason is you have to match the speaker to the cabinet specs (cubic volume, port volume and tuning). So you really shouldn't just put any speaker in there. It would be hit and miss on whether it would sound good.

Out of curiosity what model is the cab?

12. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    Thanks. You've given me alot of information that I knew nothing about. It's the Peavey Model 215. I sent some pictures to this parts company and they said the speakers were made in 1979. I'll upload some pictures here

Attached Files:

13. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    I don't know much and have not played them. But what I have done is talked to a Peavey rep at NAMM who said the 2x12 is the golden child of the entire PVH cab line. Straight from the horses mouth. And adding another cab could cause seismic activity.

14. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you put 2, 4 Ohm speakers in that cab most likely you will have a 2 ohm cab unless you wire them in series then you would get 8 ohm load. If you have a 2 ohm load your MiniMax will not like it as it can only go down to 4 ohm load. I have a pair of the PVH 212's and they are a little dark but not bad . They will definitely cut through if you give the upper mids a slight boost.

15. SickAura

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    You should check out this thread where a TB'er rehabbed the same or very similar cab with new drivers - Faital PRs I believe. Certainly not the cheapest or easiest route but if you like the cab and are up for a little project you could end up with an awesome cab.

The shallow Peavey 215....new Faital drivers plus rehab

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020