1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigou, May 11, 2010.

1. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    What is this Peavey?

2. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Looks like a Dyna-Bass Unity Koa.

3. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    How much does it worth? Someone try to sold it for 290$ on my local craigslist right now. Is that OK or to expensive?

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    $290 is about the going rate for that bass. Maybe a bit on the low side. The commonly go for $300-$350.

5. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    The bass come with an hardshell case so I think it will be a good deal!!

6. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I have one and they're fantastic. light, comfortable, sound good, look good.
    I wouldn't sell mine for such a low price...if at all.
    If it's in good condition, snag it.
    Chad

7. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    I can't find good information on that particuliar model. Can you told me a bit more about the bass??

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Peavey Dyna Unity. Extremely well made. Schaller hardware and pickups. Neck through construction. Thin neck, light weight, great sounding.

If the bass is in good shape with a case, at $290, I'd buy it. That is to say - if it were in my area, I'd literally buy it right now.

9. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    Thanks for all the information. I probably bought it after a try later this week.

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Buy it! :)

That's a good price as long as it's in good shape, as others have said. These are well made basses, and have a reputation for nice, comfortable necks and good electronics.

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Not knowing the condition.. it could be worth as little as 250.. as much as $500

Note the Koa unities are known for having neck instability.. the schaller pickups are known to fail.

$290 is a solid price for one..

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I've never heard those things, but since you are a Peavey aficionado, I'm sure it must be correct. What kind of failure occurs with the pickups? Is it bad winding wire or something?

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Koa Unities..
    They're not bad.. not as rock solid as other USA Peaveys.

I'm not 100% sure what the true issue is.. If memory serves correct, this was their first neck through oil finish (released at the same time the RJ-IV koa was released). This neck has a truss and I "believe" doesn't have graphite rods.

The necks are sometimes weather tempermental on the Unity oil finishes.. Nothing outrageous -- just no the set it and forget it the Cirrus is known for.... Other Dyna Unities with poly finish have more solid necks... this really only matters when folks like the 1mm action.

Note the necks on Dynas are not all the same.. the foundationish one.. later vflish and unity have different feels (not a ton differetnt.. just different revisions)

=====

Schaller Pickups..
    I do not know what happens for sure... seems as if the windings may open OR some of the copper coating may crack off (after a few decades)... basically they'll stop working . .. this doesn't affect the rock solid preamp.. USA EMG passives will go right in.

The preamp is solid enough that I"ve played several where the owner "loves the tone" to later find they're playing with 1/2 the pickups.. they "love the tone more" when both are functioning.

=====

This type of bass (if in the 400-700 realm) should be checked out for buckle and knuckle rash.. they shipped many of the natural basses without an finish (no oil or anything).... they become beaten like an alembic.. some folks call mine "road worn" .. I call it "lumber lookin"

=====

Like noted this is not a bad bass or one to stay away from.. this is in the realm and quality level of an average USA fender..

I owned one without issues -- have taken several emails on this bass... worked on a few.. converted the shallers to EMGs on some others.

Tim

Please let me know how I can help you.