Peavey Randy Jackson Model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For some reason my mind was on Randy Jackson of American Idol and how most folks have no idea what a monster player he is. I then seemed to remember that Peavey had a signature bass named for him. Does anybody remember it and can anybody post a picture? I seem to remember a P/J bass with a Hipshot D-tuner.
  2. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't have a pic of that, but I did see him on a Journey concert video from the 80s!!! He was thinner, and had way bigger hair. He played some cool was a pink StingRay (including the fingerboard and headstock) with white polka dots!
  3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    It was called the RJ-IV
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    It does stink if people snigger at him for being on a cheeseball show and all that. His bass skills speak for themselves. I'll bet guys like Freddie Mollings (who I believe plays with Britney Spears' backing band) get sniggered at because of their gig, but I'll bet he's a monster player too and not at all complaining about not having a gig/ steady work.

I seem to recall a months-old issue of Bass Player where there was a small picture of Randy playing a Yamaha Michael Anthony BB model. I recognized the jabanero inlays.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    There was a Britney concert on TV sometime last year that I was had on the TV while reading (more for the uh, visual, than anything else ;)) and then out of the blue, the band members started doing solos. Everyone on the backing band got a nice, lenghty solo spot where Britney (and two of her hottest dancers) noodled around beside them! Freddie played a really grooving slap solo with nice chops, great feel, and a FANTAAAAAAAAASTIC tone (Marcus 5'er) for his.
  6. I used to really dig (and still do) the grooves he'd lay down on recorded R&B tracks back in the early 80's, and I was really fortunate to see him play live a few times with SF Bay Area based artists Michael Narada Walden and Angela Bofill.

But I'll always remember when I seen him play a show with fusionist Jeff Lorber when they opened for Tower of Power in a club setting once. Supposedly, he came to sit-in as Jeff's bass player got sick. Man, he had some wicked grooves/tone and he was thumpin' like nothin' else. That was a real treat!
  7. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    berklee46, thanks for the picture. My memory was pretty accurate.
  9. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I've been playing for about 20 years now and when I first picked up the bass as a teenager, all I wanted to listen to was metal. Now, I'm glad I'm mature enough( :rolleyes: ) to go back, listen to and appreciate all those bass players I thought were wimps because they didn't play the style of music I was into. For goodness sake, I would have never discovered Mark King, Nick Beggs, Randy Jackson, Lee Sklar and a slew of others. I guess age does have it's benefits.

Oh, sorry for hijacking your thread!
  10. i wonder when we parted ways with him. that bass looks pretty bitchin'.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  12. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I have a really sweet red sunburst Peavey RJ-IV bass and it rules. It's a nice weight, well balanced and has a range of tones. I personally loves its tight, punchy mids which I find to be great for disco/funk grooves... and it growls nicely too :smug:

Randy committed a few 'fashion crimes' with Journey (A big man in black lycra leggings, yellow military style cropped jacket & playing a pink polka dot Stingray is about as bad as it gets! :eek: :eek: :eek: ) but his chops on their 'Raised On Radio' album were solid and rocking... :bassist:
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Seems like Mike's got all the Jackson's playing his basses:
  14. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I have one of these basses, but it is all natural Koa, with purpleheart stringers throughout the body to the head. Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, and VERY VERY light. It has P/J pups, and has a 7 band preamp built in to the control cavity.

Beautiful bass, but a little worn now!

I'd post pics, but I'm not sure how!
  15. i saw him playing a yamaha bb not long ago
  16. Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I went to Southern University in Baton Rouge, La., from 77-82. Randy was a bass fixture around campus. He was monsterous even back then. Shortly after that he moved on. The first recording that I knew that he did was "Magic" with Billy Cobham. I think he may have also recorded with Jon Luc Ponty.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I loved his stuff with Jean Luc-Ponty after he took Ralphe Armstrong's place. I also loved his pop stuff with Narada Michael Walden. I especially loved a single called "Divine Emotions" on which
    I believed he played a Spector NS-2.
  18. Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    That Michael Narada stuff was very nice!