Peavey rigs - any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basifist, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Basifist

Aug 22, 2002

I'm new here and i'm wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm looking for a new (budget) rig to use with my 5-string in my classic rock/metal group.

Basically I've been looking into Peavey, because of the good value they are, according to some people anyway. I'm hesitating between two rigs:

Firebass + 115 BXBW + TVX 210 or
    Firebass + TVX410

My question is, to all of you who have experienced with these rig, which one will work best with a 5-string? I use the standard tuning, but with my second band I use ADCGF tunign to match my guitarist D-tuning, so I'm a bit worried about the cabs farting out...

I think I'll also get the SansAmp BDDI to go with the rig. Good idea or not?

I'd appreciate any input.

2. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I've used a Firebass with a BXBW15 cab, and it sounded really sweet, that and a 2x10 would be a really killer setup.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I played the firebass and 210/15 setup at a music store and was very impressed. I like the "contour" control on that head.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think peavey rigs are great.. I almost bought a peavey rig awhile back.. can't remember why I didn't.. I say thumbs up to peavey :)
  5. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    *bumps everyone aside,*

OK... Peavey Fire fire bass+2x10=fairly sexy.... firebass+2x10+1x15= very sexy indeed.....firebass+4x10= devilishly secksy

IT IS PEAVEY! It may not be the best... but [eavey is reliable, made from quality materials, and they have experience.... either way, u are good man:p
  6. I use my Firebass through a Crate 2x15, and MAJ Custom 2x10 with passive high pass filter, suits my Classic Rock band better than anything else i have tried. Check out the new BAM range.
    By the way where are you based, you havn't filled in your profile.
  7. JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    That is almost the exact rig that I have. Firebass 700 2X10 TVX and a GK 1X15 and a SABBDI.

I am perfectly happy with the rig. The SABBDI I think makes a huge difference, but that's the point of it after all. ;) I can get just about any tone I've tried for and it has plenty of volume to keep up with two guitars. I just wish I had more time to play :(
  8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    The only Peavey amp that I've played through that had a decent sound was the T-Max and its been discontinued. I've never liked the way that Peavey voice their EQ sections. They always sound very nasual. I'd recommend a used vintage SWR 400/400S, Ampeg (w/tube pre-amp) or go for a used bass pre-amp (Alembic, SWR, Ampeg...w/tube) and a used clean power amp (Stewart, QSC, Crown...). You can find good used gear as cheap as new Peavey gear. Peavey's older series "2 x 10" and "4 X 10" cabinets (w/round port in rear) are great sounding cabinets. The newer ones, althought they produce a better lowend sound, break-up at too low of volumes for me (I prefer the Series I SWR Goliath and Goliath Jr. series also for this same reason). Much tighter sounding cabinets.