peavey sarzo 90's or kiesel buy vintage or new?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coiltap, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Coiltap

Coiltap

Jan 30, 2014
    HI all

I read a few threads on the peavey sarzo on TB... my neighbor has one for sale.. not sure of the exact model name.. woods look like pauduk- reddish/ and has 5 piece maple neck I think I can get it for 650/700 w OHSC. excellent cond.. not mint normally I only buy new.(or mint NOS). I am a bit picky -

however what I like abut the sarzo is the body shape a bit of Alembic & carvin bb70 mixed in., ebony board etc the bass in general has a high end feel about it Kiesel has a few basses available instock the Bromberg and JB.

I am about 1/2 way to getting a new bass- while I haven't really looked - seems like the Peavy Sarzo from the 90's is a rare bird.. and may be worth the gamble??

your thoughts please

thanks!
    Tom

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    The biggest downside to Carvin basses is the electronics - super mediocre across the board. Also, their necks are super skinny with a thick baseball bat back of the neck shape. You might like that shape, might not.

The biggest downside to a 90's Peavey is... That they don't make them anymore. Seriously, they're superb.

I vote Sarzo.

3. I liked the Sarzo signature when I came out. Never owned one though. You might research the prices before you commit but $650 might not be out of line, I don’t know.

4. American Peavey basses are the bomb. Snap that up.

Aqualung60, mikewalker and singlemalt like this.
  5. Coiltap

Coiltap

Jan 30, 2014
    thank you all for the responses-!
    what is the the best way to get a accurate price range for a used 90's peavey sarzo?

looking at some sold basses-reverb. ebay etc prices go from high 500's to 850. what is too much? I know little about the used market for esoteric pieces.

6. That’s the place to start. Sold listings on eBay. Not what people are asking but actually sold. Sounds like you have that handled. After that, cross reference what you feel like you want to spend. Like showroom condition is at the higher end of your range. Any cosmetic or structural issues lower the value, obviously. In the end you have to go with what you feel it’s worth.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you buy.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) Go to reverb.com

2) Search "Peavey Sarzo"

3) Click "Filter"

4) Click "Show Only"

5) Click "Sold Listings"

6) Click "Apply"

This will show you quite a few that have sold on Reverb.

8. Coiltap

Coiltap

Jan 30, 2014
    Thank you Matt

9. Coiltap

Coiltap

Jan 30, 2014
    thank you!

10. Like others have said, go the Sarzo. Such well built and comfortable basses.

steelbed45 and mikewalker like this.
  11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    IMO, that comment about Carvin electronics used to be true. I have had an LB70 or two, and I currently have an LB75. The electronics aren’t bad, but they aren’t exceptional.

That change with the SB basses. My SB5000 is exceptional in almost every way, but especially tone-wise. All my Carvins have been great players.

My Sarzo is great, too. I have owned two. I would suggest checking out the Sarzo first since it is a 30 year old instrument. Be advised that the necks are thin, so the neck could have a tendency to need more frequent adjustments that some might like. Also, the electronics can be a little noisy in active mode when they get older, and while I personally love the preamp, I have to admit it sounds a little dated. Also, the rear battery cover seems to break fairly easily. Even taking all these things into account, the Sarzo is one of my favorite bass designs.

12. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Go for the Peavey. Seriously undervalued basses.

Check out the USA Peavey thread.

I picked up a 90’s Cirrus in mint condition for under $800 with the OHC. It’s an awesome bass.

Post some pictures.

13. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Nothing I hate worse than finding another bass to GAS over right after telling my wife that the B-quad I bought last week should be my last Peavey.

Never heard of the Sarzo… now I'm curious.

wintremute and mikewalker like this.
  14. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    IMO, it was like the precursor to and part of the evolution of the Cirrus. A little on the heavy side, wide neck, neck thru with Ebony board and electronics from the Dyna Bass. I believe it had a Schaller roller bridge as well. It's a well built beast. More of a rocker than Motown I suppose. In good condition, $800. is not really overpriced for a player like this. BTW, the B-quad is awesome and takes it up a few notches.

TheReceder likes this.
  15. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Used Carvin or “Kiesel” only because that specific Peavey is 35 inch scale, which I despise.

16. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Coiltap :)

Walk over to your neighbour. Check the bass. That' s a no- brainer!

You like it? => haggle! ;)

Your neighbour will be happy not to ship the bass and the payment can be cash.

(no fees, no sales tax etc.)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

wintremute and kesslari like this.
  17. Coiltap

Coiltap

Jan 30, 2014
    one of my concerns is the age. I read all the time players looking for early fenders , rickenbackers etc I would wonder if the truss rod & older frets will become an costly issue .

wvbass likes this.
  18. Potomuss

Potomuss Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Peoria, IL
    You might also check prices here for sold instruments. Search the classifieds. The asking price seems pretty fair assuming that the condition is decent.

Fantastic basses. I've owned several Carvins and Peaveys from the same time frame and prefer the Peaveys. Main bass right now is a US Cirrus. Top notch instrument. I would say get you hands on it and try it asap. For what it's worth, it seems that the US Peaveys will hold that used value better than the Carvins/Kiesels unless the latter has some really choice wood.

19. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    I'd get the Sarzo bass and start cranking up some Whitesnake

20. Potomuss

Potomuss Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Peoria, IL
    The fret issues were due to soft metals used back in the 70s. Never heard of that problem on a 90s or newer bass. And if the truss rod works and the neck isn't twisted or badly bowed you should be good. That's one of the bigger gambles in buying used. If the setup is to your liking as it sits you're probably ok. If you can test the truss rod that's a win.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021