1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey scorpio de or Ibanez sr300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nrs7six, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Hi all, a little advise is needed please!.
    I am going to buy a new bass and have narrowd it down to either the Peavey scorpio de (£279) or Ibanez sr300 (£239). I play in a metal band and am looking for a really punchy low tone with some growl. My set up is ashdown mag 600/ashdown mag 410 running through a sansamp pbddi. I have previously owned an Ibanez GSR200 which i was really pleased with and loved the active 'phat eq' and am swaying towards the Ibanez as i know how they feel to play but have never owned a Peavey. I am also a lottle concerned as the Peavey is a passive bass (albeit seymour duncan pick ups). Any thoughts?
    Also, what is the difference between the ibanez sr300 and sr300 dx?
    Thanks for your time, Steve

2. TGUbassman

TGUbassman

May 18, 2009
    I really enjoy my SR 300 and can say that it would be really well suited for metal playing. That in fact is my only issue, it wants to be a metal guitar not and alternative/indie guitar, which is what I am looking for. It should sound great out of your set up from what I can tell. I am toying with getting the pups replaced on mine sometime soon as I would like something a little bit smoother and richer sounding, but they are still not too bad as is. I have never owed a Peavey so I cannot not speak to educated on why or why not to buy it. Though I have never really liked the feel of their guitars when I have picked them up.

3. I never played the Peavey, and Im sure it's a great bass, but I do know the Ibanez SR series as I have two of them at the moment. The SR300 has a slightly narrower, and thinner neck than your GSR. It has the 3-band active EQ with the stylesweep midrange control. It has a wide range of tonal possibilities - thunderous lows, and nice clean bright highs.
    A lot of bass for the money.