Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Scorpion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sippy, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey guys, can I have your thoughts about Peavey Scorpion 410 cabs?

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    honk city.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    lol sorry but can you be a bit more specific?

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    nobody? :confused:

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have never played thru one, but have some experience with the Scorpion 10 drivers. They used the same ones in the 1810 and 1820 cabs, crossed over at 250hz.

They don't do a lot of lows. "Honk City' is probably a pretty accurate statement. I would expect it would be heavy, and pretty loud, but not very low. I don't think they made that one very long.

6. Near as I can recollect, there was no Peavey cab for bass that used the 10" Scorpion for its low end. There was a 4x10 cab in the late '80s/early '90s that had kind of a "flight case" look to it, but it wasn't a bass cab. I think the first Peavey 4x10 for bass was the 410T or maybe 410B, which used some sort of stamped frame speakers (pre-Sheffield), which was then replaced by the TX series, carpet covered cabs.

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    hmmm, he said it's scorpion, so it may be aftermarket speakers. I'm going to see it later, I just wanted to get an idea on how much it's worth. It's MINT he used it at 2 gigs...a drummer friend of mine played with him and he said it's mint.

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Okay yea the guy made a mistake they aren't scorpions they are sheffields! and it sounds sick! :) I just picked it up!

9. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    the shefields are ok to me, they go deep, but the horn in those cabs are "ear bleeders". I hope the horn has an attenuator. If it does, turn it all the way down. I don't know how you feel about 15s but the black widows have more growl than the shefields. I guess it depends on the sound you want.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Ye it has an "HF" level on the back with a dial I don't know what that is..

11. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    is it a dial that you turn?

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea it is. numbered like 1-12

13. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    keep it low......unless you like to hear clackity clack

14. i like black widows better, and the model 121's (i think from memory) in my 410tx