Peavey Serial Numbers Chart

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jglunt, Mar 15, 2021.

1. I play mostly G&L, but I did some work for a friend and ended up with an old Peavey T-40 as payment. Over the years, I've heard a lot of negative stuff about Peavey basses, but this T-40 is pretty impressive with some unusual innovations, and it's in excellent shape. My friend doesn't know when it was built, so I was wondering if there is some website that might have a list of serial numbers with year of manufacture...Jim

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

someone here can help
    Peavey T-40 Club Part 2
    I’m sure @Eilif could help.

This is a great reference to bookmark too
    T-40 infosheet

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Big Shrek likes this.
  3. Thank you very much. This is extremely helpful. Turns out my T-40 was manufactured in late 1978. It had been sitting in its case in a closet for 12 years and when played, feels like it was just set up yesterday. Of course, new strings are in order. It's in amazing shape, and quite a technologically advanced for its day, or even today...Jim

Prof.Dr.Metz and B-Mac like this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There’s a saying here...’Pix or it didn’t happen’.
    We’re very visual here, so some pix of your recently acquired T-40 would be wonderful.;)

5. Mine is in the overwhelming majority of T-40s--natural with black pickguard. Since I received this as payment for some work I did, I had originally planned to resell it, but man, it is a nearly perfect USA made bass, and 43 years old! So I'm gonna keep it. That being the case, I wanted something other than the black pickguard for it, so I ordered a new one. When that comes in and I've installed it, I'll try to post a pic...Jim

B-Mac likes this.
  6. B-Mac

Check this out when you have time
    T-40 control settings vids

7. Thanks! When I knew I was going to get this bass, I did some research and found this first vid, but the second one was new to me, and I really enjoyed it. It amazes me that, except for those who play Peavey T-40s, it has kind of a bad reputation. How foolish to wrongly judge this great bass that is incredibly versatile before giving it a chance. I'm looking forward to becoming better acquainted with mine...Jim

B-Mac likes this.