1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Series 400 Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaxetarr, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jaxetarr

jaxetarr

Mar 12, 2013
    I am looking at buying a vintage Peavey Series 400 Amp. The seller says that there is a hiss, which he believes is a bad capacitor. I have not looked at it yet. I am hoping to check it out this weekend.

Anyone have any insight on typical problems associated with this amp. I am curious what it might cost to repair.

The deal is the amp, the original pedal, and a Peavey 410S cabinet for $225.00, as is.

Thanks.

2. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    You must live near Portland. I've been tempted to check that same rig out.
    I don't have anything constructive to offer you, but I'm curious how the deal turns out.

Good luck!

3. jaxetarr

jaxetarr

Mar 12, 2013
    Gremson...what did you think when you saw the listing?

4. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    I never checked it out in person, and I don't really have any advice on what to do about the hissing. But typically Peavey amps are built to last the apocalypse.
    I've got the Peavey Musician 400 head, the all-purpose version of that amp and it's really starting to grow on me. It's loud as hell too. I've read that the "Bass" versions of these heads are noticeably better sounding for bass than the "Musician" heads (Go figure) and I that appeals to me since I already like the Musician series.... But I need another amp like I need my girlfriend to bitch at me more, so I'd love to see the seller take down the posting. Go buy the amp!