Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey session bass & 210tfx

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Newman, Dec 7, 2000.

1. Newman

Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    ok im still looking for amps for christmas(its getting to close) and i found a used sessionbass head and 210TFX. I got a couple of questions. First of all, im still very new at this stuff.
    1. what is the difference between an pre-amp and a head? the pre amp doesnt have wattage? so does that mean the pre amp has to go to another power source THEN a cab?

2. the sessionbass is 200 watts and the 210tfx is 350? can someone explain this. is 200 watts the most that will come out of this? just explain this as much as possible please

3. the sessionbass is a 2 space rackmount head. what does that mean? the head is not a perfect rectangle it has little things sticking off the side of the front. i think that is if u r going to install it into an amp or somethin i donno. again all the imformation you can give please.

4. i wont be using the sessionbass and speaker for any giant stadiums and i think it is far more then enough for a school stadium and a little underpowered for a hockey arena size stadium. I'm also quite young and im either going for something BIG (the 210 and seperate head) or some small combo... 12 inch speaker 75 watts about. Either one i buy i will want to not have to buy something new till im 18 or so. If i buy the 75er then i guess i will use a p.a. system or someone elses amp in any big situations. I have a 10 watt right now so that wil be my practice amp. Any comments?

5. For a head and cab the only thing else i will need is 2 cables and a bass right?

basically i am looking for all the info i can get. This is a big investment and it has to be made fairly fast. Any information a fairly new person could use. Not so much suggestions unless you can name a great 75 watt amp or anything. Maybe there is some basic information that i dont know i am unfamiliar with heads and seperate cabs most of everything ive seen is a combo. Thanks alot and remember no such thing as to much information when you r looking at a big investment.

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Ok lets see if I can answer these...

1. Here is the signal chain for a basic setup. Bass to preamp, preamp to power amp, power amp to speaker(s). The preamp has no wattage all it does is prepare the signal (makes it sound better) for the power amp.

2. 350 watts is how much wattage the speakers can handle. The amp puts out 200 watts, but the speakers you mentioned are capable of handling more.

3. Hmm not quite sure how to explain this one. The brackets that make it a 'imperfect' are what you use to mount it to what is basically a box that holds it in place and protects it.

4. I get by with 150 watts for school gymnasiums

5. Yes, one to connect the instrument to the amp and one to connect the amp to the speaker cabinet.

Hope that helps

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Newman,
    I'm pretty familiar with peavey gear, so I'll try to pass on some tips.

The combination of a Session Bass Amp and a 210TFX cabinet sounds like it will suit your needs. 200 watts is the maximum output for the Session Bass. The 210TFX will handle anything the Session Bass will put-out and more. However, the 210TFX is not the most efficient 210 cab around, so it won't be the loudest, but they sound pretty good to me.
    Your biggest danger will come from underpowering the speakers and causing clipping to occur. In simple terms, clipping is caused from trying to make the amp play louder than it is capable of. This will cause unpleasant distortion and can fry your speakers.
    (Do a search for clipping in the amps forum if you need or want to know more.)
    The Session Bass has a red clipping light and DDT speaker protection to aid against clipping. You'll just have to learn to adjust the amp to keep the clipping at a minimum.
    (I occasionally run a stand-alone 210TFX with a 350 watt Peavey T-Max head, and it almost never clips.)
    BTW, I'm not trying to scare you. I think the Session Bass and the 210TFX is a nice combination. Just remember that distortion and the red clipping light are bad.

I don't know what kind of deal you're working on, but a used Session Bass should be around $200 (maybe a little more if it's in really nice shape). A used 210TXF should be around $200 also (again, maybe a little more).
    A nice alternative might be a used Peavey Combo-210. The Combo-210 has the same speakers as the 210TXF, a more powerful amp section, and the ability to add another speaker cabinet if you need more volume. (I don't know if you'll find one before X-mas.)

Finally, you will need an instrument cable to go from your bass to your amp, a speaker cable (do not use an instrument cable!) to go from your amp to your speaker cabinet, and you may want a mic cable to go from the D.I. on the Session Bass to a P.A. system.

I hope this long reply helps.

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    just some additional comments:

1. if pre-amp, power-amp and speaker cab come in one unit, this is called a combo. pre-amp and power-amp in one unit is called 'head' most commonly.

3. racks are standard boxes for musical equipment - 19" wide, height is measured in 'units' (a bit more than 1").
    '2 space rackmount' means that it is 19" wide and 2 units high and has 'ears' ('little things sticking off the side';)) for rack-mounting.

4. go for the head and cab set-up. you can change single components later, this gives you better flexibility.
    BTW speaker impedance is a topic here: I don't know the specs of the Peavey but I guess the amp delivers 200W into a load of 4Ohms. If the 210 is also rated at 4Ohms you will get full power from the amp. If it should be rated at 8Ohms, this is not a problem, but you will only get about 120W out of your amp. On the other hand, in this case you could add another 8Ohm cab later (two 8Ohm cabs wired in parallel, wich is usual, add up to a 4Ohm load). But 200W is not too much to feed 2 cabs, so you might upgrade too a higher powered amp later - you see this never stops, many christmas wishes for the coming years :D
    But I guess the 210 is rated at 4Ohms anyway.

Bottom line: I think the Peavey set up is a good choice to start with if the price is ok.

Hope that helps,
    Matthias

5. Slater mentioned:

>However, the 210TFX is not the most efficient 210 cab around, so it won't be the loudest, but they sound pretty good to me.

I own a 210 TXF and find it to be an excellent cabinet. What do you mean by efficient (I should know this, but I guess I don't :) )

Newman - the set up you are describing will suit your needs perfectly. Go for it !!

John

6. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I think Slater was reffering to the relatively low sound pressure level of 95db.

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yes. :)

8. >the relatively low sound pressure level of 95db.

ooO and Slater - compared to what ? and what does it mean ?

John

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What he means is that the Peavey is rated at 95db @ 1 watt 1 meter, as compared to say, an Eden D210XLT which is rated at 104db @ 1 watt 1 meter, 9db louder, which means that with the same wattage, the Eden will sound almost twice as loud as the Peavey.

Of course, an Eden D210XLT costs a heck of a lot more than a Peavey 210TX.

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    provided they are measuring the same way ;)
    But in this case it sounds reasonable to me.

BTW: +10dB = double perceived volume, +3dB is a bit more than an audible difference. This has to do with the fact that dB is a logarithmic scale.

One last thing: IS the Peavey 210 rated at 4Ohms or not?

11. >One last thing: IS the Peavey 210 rated at 4Ohms or not?

Yes it is.

John