1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey showdown: Axcelerator vs. GV vs. Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 12, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Peavey Axcelerator, Cirrus, GV basses.

All three of these basses have the same kind of pickups, right? I understand that they're made of different woods, have different hardware, and different preamps, but with all controls set flat would they sound similar?

2. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Axcelerators only have 2 band EQs so you'll likely get more tonal variation from the Cirrus and GV basses.

I'm sure they'll have some sonic similarities due to the pups but body wood will no doubt play a hand.. Alder for the Cirrus.. Basswood for the Axcelerator and G V (I think)..

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Been wondering myself!

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm asking because I want to start collecting Peavey's but not for the sake of having one of each. If all three would have similar sounds then I only want to get the most versatile or best sounding of the three.

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I can't say. I have an Axcelerator 5 and have owned two Cirrus 6ers but never played a G V nor have I ever had a chance to A-B-C all three at one time.

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Were I in the market, of the three you listed I'd go with the Cirrus.

7. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    The Axcelerator bass materials varied. According to the manuals, the 2-T model had a Poplar body, Rock Maple neck, and Rosewood fretboard. The Plus model had a Swamp Ash body, bilaminated Rock Maple Neck, and Pau Ferro fretboard.

That stated, I would not be surprised to learn that there were some minor variations in hardware and possibly woods during the course of their production run.

8. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Cool! Thanks for the clarification!

9. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    I have a GV and an Axcelerator 6. Not sure what it is about the neck profile on the Cirrus but for me the GV and Ax 6 are more comfortable to play.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Good to know! Similar sound between the GV and the Ax 6?

11. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    You are welcome, Mark. Since you have a 5, you may know that it has a little different construction from the fours. The scale is 35" instead of 34", the body is Poplar, the neck is bilaminated Rock Maple, and the fingerboard is Rosewood. As you can see, the variations within the Axcelerator model line can be a little confusing.