1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Super Festival F800B Cabinets (18")

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassdopp, Jul 31, 2012.

1. bassdopp

bassdopp Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I have the F800B head, but I have never come across the original single 18" cabinets that stack up to make this monster amp. Does anyone have pictures of them? Especially without the front grill on. I'm wondering if they are designed like the Sunn Coliseum single 18" cabinet. (pictured below)

Attached Files:

2. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I used to have an f800b back in high school with 2 118 cabinets. I used to have some photos but misplaced them somewhere over the years.

Looking at the front of the cabinet, it looks more like a PA cabinet. There's a slanting front piece. The driver is aimed up and towards the back. Access to the speaker was through the bottom of the cabinet with a panel that must've had 20 screws in it! :)

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I also used these back in the 70's . They were a folded horn , so you can't see the woofer from the front . They used Cerwin Vega 18s and were very loud and deep .

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
  5. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    I do have a photo of that cabinet in use without the front grill cloth, but it will be later in the morning before I can post it.

6. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    circa 1985, Alembic Series 1, into Alembic power box, then Alembic FB-1 preamp, into Acoustic Power Amp and Peavey 118

Attached Files:

mikewalker, Born To Hula and 10cc like this.
  7. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Cool picture . I had a pair that I used with a 73 SVT head with a Ric 4001 with Rotosounds and only needed both at a couple of outdoor gigs and even then one would have worked fine . They had a surprising amount of mids for that style of cabinet . I sold my last one in 1980 and by then had swapped the 18 for a Gauss and the guy I sold it to still has it though he gigs very seldom .

8. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Pics from eBay... this was one bad cab...

Attached Files:

9. Sorado71

Sorado71 Sunn since 1971! Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Those big cabs were Peavey's first 18" cab, and it was at least as huge as the Acoustic 301 cabs of the time. However, the Festival F800B used smaller folded horn cabinets like this. Although I'm a Sunn guy, I really like the folded horn cabs and F800B reminds me of the Sunn Coliseum setup. Photo of F800B stack attached.

(I wish it were mine but it's just a photo I found on the web.)

Attached Files:

10. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I used to have one of these cabs maybe 16 years ago.
    It was a pain to move around because it was so deep but it would literally vibrate across the floor.

It was loud and deep, not sure what some people in back of basements we played in thought of it but I liked it....

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think those came with the front firing horn speaker like the OP's instead of the folded horns.

If it's from the before the black widow days, it might be one of those older square magnet drivers but those were only 100-150 watts. These ads say more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mikewalker likes this.
  12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If I would've read further, it says they were Vega 18's. :D

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Well, reading some other stuff now, they were folded, couldn't see the driver. Try emailing Peavey CS. They've been helpful with me digging up info on old Peavey stuff I find.

Lots of archives old manuals at their site too, but I doubt that would have some x-ray type pic of the cabinet.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  15. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Post #6 is the cab that came with the heads . The one in post #8 is a taller version , the same Cerwin Vega 18 in 4 ohm , just like the shorter ones . I bought a pair of the shorter ones new in the early 70s and since they were 4 ohm they worked great with my SVT. I had a house gig in 1974 in Rock Island Illinois and used a buddys tall version while he used my shorter pair in Minneapolis in an up and coming rock band . The tall ones and the short ones sounded about the same . The tall one was like the Acoustic 301 cab or Cerwin Vegas B-48 about 4' tall . Fender also used a cab very similar with the PS 400 head . All used Cerwin Vega 18s. Cerwin Vega had a cab called the B-36 that was close to the same design as the short Peavey but I don't think any other bass amp company built a short version . I used these Peavey cabs all through the 70's .

Sorado71 has it right ^

16. barry fenix

barry fenix

Dec 26, 2015
    I have a few peavey folded horns..... that little one...I used back in the disco days and I used it with a high freq horn on top with electro voice 110 watt driver...roll off around 400....nice little rig...but I like the 24x48x24 larger peavey cabs....now my acoustic 360 is ok..no compression and that cerwin vega is so muddy..so how many is that ? 4 ..If I were you I would be looking for the newer (1980) peavey 118FH model serial number beginning 9E-xxxxxx is a superior box...24x48x20 ...it uses a compession technique..rebuild you old peavey speakers...with the AL shinny dust covers ...make sure that they reinforced with kevlar...if not the will let you down if you are pumping juice into them....the low rider that I use in a front loaded bass reflex (ported) cab is so muddy...now add some 10s and it work well...like my 2-10--1-18 peavey cabs...the Sunn collseums amps like those old cabs. be careful with this new "D" amps...I have a few of those and they will eat your vintage speakers...

17. Great stuff - who do I have to pay to hear these cranked? drool