Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey / SWR Lawsuit???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geshel, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Definetly.

Peace
    Nick

2. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I think my IQ dropped a couple of points from reading that.

Wow.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yes, yes, I think he does enjoy the rock. Especially when he decides to post something up on eBay! :rolleyes:

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Still... not a terrible price...

-robert

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    actually he's not entirely crazy... i was under that same impression. that particular cabinet is a blatant rip off but it still sounds good. kinda like behringher and mackie sorta.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    How can that be a "rip off" of SWR? Unless SWR was really the first to make a 4x10 + horn cab (which I don't think is so, and if they were, other companies joined in long before Peavey came out with the 410TX).

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    from what i can gather from what i was told is that one is rear ported like nordshows(eek spelling) goliath. design wise it is very close to the original goliath. i i also heard that the new line of cabinets originally had 2 ports like another popular design but desided to play it safe and went with a single port. of course this is all hanging out at local music store and talkin shop with guys.. not from any reputable source.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'd laugh at any bass cab maker trying to patent/copyright where the port is located or what shape it is (unless it's radically different).

edit: SWR history page says that the Goliath was the first bass cab to feature a built-in "high-end horn". And that it inspired all the "copies". Hmm. I still can't imagine them suing anybody for building similar design. Unless it had a silver tweeter and said "SWR" on the front. . .:D

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I still have my first Golieth from SWR.....it was built by Eden......says it right on the backplate!

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    yeah you're right. come to think of it peavey proly started that rumor to help sales! ; ) i baught mine cause it sounds good. not cause it was a rip off! lol

now if i could hire some roadies to move the thing!

11. Carver did it (sealed box) and got away with it. Now he is screwing all the other sub makers to pay him royalties. He has the patents to make it stick.

Link to Carver Patent

12. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I like Bob Carver! Its a known fact he's an audio design genius, now it turns out he's a shrewd businessman too.

Speaking of Peavey and lawsuits, anybody remember that company called "Earth"? They made PA gear back in the early 70's, which was a blatant ripoff of Peavey's designs. Were it not for the logos you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. If you've ever seen any of their gear, you know they ripped Hartley off. Anyhoo, Peavey sued them out of business pretty quickly, but not before a lot of folks got stuck with their crap! (No, not me!)

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    My knowledge of the lawsuit is nil, but I don't know if you're really properly representing the facts:

1. "(sealed box)" -- obviously he's not claiming to have invented the sealed box loudspeaker

2. "all the other sub makers" -- who would that include? I'm sure he's not suing anyone that didn't explicitly copy his design.

The Sunfire subwoofers were new and innovative. There have since been a slew of copies. It has a distinct number of design features that combine to form the whole. Anybody copying this design knew exactly what they were doing, and if they didn't check beforehand to see if he'd patented it, that's their own damn fault.

If Bob's a bit touchy I can see it since he was basically disowned by Carver and they tied his hands with red tape (he was legally bound to sell any new amplifier products that he would create after leaving the company only above a minimum price. I think that applied to the subwoofers too. ). Meanwhile, look where Carver (the company) has gone since he has left. Nowhere. Whereas Sunfire, even with the restrictions placed on him/it, has succeeded quite well and earned a good deal of respect.

I can't find any news on the lawsuit (this is the first I'd heard of it in fact) - can you post a link?

14. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    He claims the cab is rear ported, but the pic is cut off at the bottom so you can't tell if there are front ports....
    call me Sherlock ;)

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Nope, that's not correct, my TVX has two ports in the front.

16. [I'd laugh at any bass cab maker trying to patent/copyright where the port is located or what shape it is (unless it's radically different).]

I dunno, not long ago Hummer was sued by Jeep because of their grill design was similar to a CJ. Although Jeep lost the lawsuit they did have a valid point. In fact, the grill design was patented before the Jeep name was.

17. The cabinet size is different,the port size is different,the woofers are different,the crossovers differant but the tweeters the same.The cab desighn is close but not that close.

18. The cabinet size is different,the port size is different,the woofers are different,the crossovers differant but the tweeters the same.The cab desighn is close but not that close.

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You mean, of course, David Nordschow, as there is no David Eden. :)