1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey T-20 FL bridge saddle swap success, please explain the inexplicable!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass V, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    short story shorter, G string now rides even with the others and closer to the board instead of a 1/6th'' (or more...) higher and the low D is still sweet after merely trading saddle barrels. but the barrels are identical!!!, all 4 are the same in every way, and those two were flush on the plate cos I'd prefer even lower action, why would it have made any difference?

the odd sky high G was one the issues facing the maximization this fabulous but imperfect bass I snagged off CL, now this lightweight nat. ash beauty is closer to the joyful player it can really be. but I have no idea why my belated epiphany actually paid off, and so perfectly!
    the A and low D still ride high in the nut instead of virtually on the board like the G and D, the action will always be a tad higher than preferred, and the electronics are way noisy in need of a serious fix, but yet the little options on sound she gives up are absolutely yummy. a truly deserving project, I'd luv to find a fretted blonde T-20 to compliment this rosewood boarded tone monster, fortunately I have a cool old PJ 4 string Cort with a maple board coming which looks equally solid.

2. Was the slot in one of the saddles deeper or, possibly, worn deeper than the other one?

If the saddles are at the deck and the action is still too high you might need to shim the neck.

Bass V likes this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    nope, that there might be a difference in groove heights is what piqued my interest in swapping, but since there wasn't any difference in the 4 I went for the low D and it couldn't have worked out better.
    I'll live with the med. action now that the G has leveled, it's all good.