1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-20 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarMar, Jan 10, 2021.

1. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    There's a decemt looking Peavey T-20 for sale in my area, but it's missing the thing that goes around the pickup and the knobs aren't original.

What do you think of the Peavey T-20? Does a used one in decent shape hold any value? I'm not really concerned about scuffs and chips. Would the value be affected by the "thing" missing from around the pickup or the aftermarket knobs?

Any ideas on a price if that's allowed here?

I really like the natural finish with the maple fretboard.

All feedback is much appreciated.

33689_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=Tor3yD6UAcUAX_GLPQ6&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.jpg

Bass4Brkfast likes this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're talking $300 or so?

3. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    Yep that is pretty much around what the person is asking.

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Okay, because this one looks really nice for $450.
    Especially since there's another one on the same page for $900+!
    sxx801gdohcgjc9iy7jj.jpg

5. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    If you're worried about the value, pass on it. If you're looking for a player, offer $250 and get a bargain. Or get the really nice one at $450.

I want a T-40, but they've gotten too pricey at the moment.

Dubious Aa, bassdude51 and MarMar like this.
  6. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    That one is a little more clean than the one I am looking at in my area. The one I am looking at in my area dropped to $250. I would prefer $175 but I doubt he'll go that low. :roflmao:

jd56hawk likes this.
  7. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Offer $200 and be done with it. Those are great basses at that price point.

8. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    Good advice. Thank you. I am just looking for a player really but I don't want to pay too much for it.

I lucked out years ago and got a Fender Musicmaster for about 1/3 of what they are selling for now, and mine looks better than most of the ones I see for sale. Recently, I also got a nice (nearly flawless I'd say 9.9 out of 10 condition wise) Squier II MIK P bass for not much as well. I'm a sucker for a good deal but I also hate feeling like I paid too much on the other hand. Now I have the Musicmaster with the single coil pickup, the Squier II P Bass with the P style pickups, and a MIM "Fender" (it is probably not real) Jazz with the regular jazz pickups. I wonder how much different the Peavey T-20 would sound compared to my other 3.

Haans likes this.
  9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'd offer $200, but for $250, depending on how it plays and sounds, I'd go for it.
    (I've heard some of them only weigh 9 or 10 pounds!)

TN WOODMAN and MarMar like this.
  10. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I too love a bargain, and that's why I find the current T-40 prices to steep. $200-250 for a T-20 is probably as close to a bargain as you're going to get, though. It'll outlive us all.

11. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Yeah get the cheaper t-20, I just paid a bit more than I wanted for a T-45 but it’s in great condition and the color combo I always wanted

MarMar likes this.
  12. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Just before the pandemic hit I saw a used T-40 for a very fair price--I forget what the price was--but it was lower than I expected--and I was tempted.

MarMar and Haans like this.
  13. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    Thank you everyone for the good advice and insight. Yes it seems prices can go crazy high or crazy low lately. I have seen some cool stuff go for CHEAP and FAST.

14. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    Good finds. Does that mean there is something wrong with the bass if it's being sold so fast?

15. I'd ask the seller if they have adjusted the neck relief, if they say "Yes" then ask what TR tool they used and if it's also for sale.

You want to hear "Yes I fixed it, took me ages to find an extra long Gibson key but I got one and it worked :)"

wraub and MarMar like this.
  16. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    The T-20 is a great instrument. I have one and love it. I'd describe it somewhat similar to P-bass with a little more growl or bite. The neck is wider than other Peavey's like the Foundation, but thin front to back. It plays and looks great.

If you're looking for a bass to play, get it! But if you're looking for an investment or resale for profit, pass. That's the beauty of these old USA Peavey basses - high quality, great sounding instruments, at a low price. Its a player, not a payer :D

Oh, and if you get it, try to find a replacement for the pickup ring. The ring has a built-in thumb rest that is great to use.

EdO. likes this.
  17. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    My T-20 works with a standard Gibson wrench. But, it looks like someone may have removed some wood around the truss rod access hole so a standard Gibson wrench would fit. Its a pretty common mod on old Peaveys. I have a couple that look like someone may have done this. Its hard to tell if it came from the factory that way, but to me it looks like a mod. I've seen Dave's World of Fun Stuff do it in a video. He just used a chisel to remove a little wood around the edges so the wrench would fit. If its done carefully it looks fine, and is hidden under the truss rod cover anyway.

Aqualung60 and MarMar like this.
  18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Awful?

19. I would be 200 for it. Those peavey knobs sell more than you wild think these say. The black plastic thing around the pickup you can get cheap actually. Play it first and make sure that neck works.

MarMar likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021