1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-20 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarMar, Jan 10, 2021.

1. allen_m

allen_m Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Fretsonthenet.com sells a reproduction pickup ring for the T-20. There was a guy on eBay selling 3D printed knobs that could be painted to look right and were cheaper than the originals that people are pulling off and selling. So aesthetically you could make it look right for not much money. I had one and wish I still did. They are excellent players but if they haven’t appreciated much in 40 years they probably never will.

2. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Thanks for the info on this @kodiakblair I was this morning in a conversation with the seller via eBay. I pointed out everything missing and the beat up body and no case, I offered him $200...

His reply was this:
    Hey. Its is a player....I've gigged with it for probably 15 plus years and seen venues all over the US lol. The best I can do is $250.

Why can't people just be honest!?! It's the same bass as the above link you shared! And the new seller didn't mention the "E" tuner being replaced...

OP, pass on it, get a nicer one with a case and all the parts!

Cheers!

3. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    I love my T20. Very much Precision in sound with a bit more growl and punch. Those super ferrite pickups were something special imo.

4. I've owned 63 Peavey basses. Standard Gibson key only worked on some.

They sell for $25 each. The $200 bass is missing those knobs.

BassToGoGo likes this.
  5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Nice looking bass!

6. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Yeah .... a T-20 in any shape is $400 plus around here. NOPE!
    T-40 prices are just INSANE!

7. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I'm getting a ring for my T-45 from the same folks

8. BassToGoGo

BassToGoGo

Jul 14, 2018
    T-20s are amazing basses.

I'm on the hunt for a blue one...
    PeaveyT20_01.jpg

9. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Unless if you are really "hell bent" on a T-20, $200 max and that better include the original case. (Missing knobs and pickup cover!!!!!!!!) (By the way, those knobs are gone because they sell on eBay and Reverb for big money.)

I used to have a T-20 back in the late 80s. A very well made bass! THEY ARE HEAVY! The pickup is ceramic magnet. I'm not too much into the sound of ceramic but they will do the job.

T-20s are pretty hard to find because they date back about 40 years ago. With time and patience you should be able to find a nice one. Fortunately for you, the natural finish ones were the most popular and easiest to find. Most want the ones with the nice colors.

Keep in mind that many or most of those Peavey bodies are made from multiple pieces of wood glued together and so the natural ones really show that off and it can look bad.

It's a great bass! So is the T-45 and T-40. USA made quality basses! Did I say that they are heavy?

10. Trailertrash74

Trailertrash74 Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Florence AL
    Just for your information the "thing..thingy" around the pickup is called a "Bezel". I know most of you know that but for those who don't. Sorry, I woke up grumpy this morning because is snowing! I hate snow..heck...I live in Alabama! It's not suppose to snow here!!

bassdude51 likes this.
  11. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I picked up a T-20 locally a month or so ago, it’s a great bass. Sounds like a ballsy p bass, kinda close to a scpb. Without the pickup ring and the aluminum knobs it’s still a good deal for $200ish. How many US made vintage basses you can pick up for that price point?

12. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    So it sounds like the seller might be a little dishonest. A little dishonesty goes a long way for me and I will probably pass as you suggested. Thanks again for the good info.

bassdude51 and Bleecker like this.
  13. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I played one at a jam one time. It wasn't bad, I remember it being very punchy sounding.

MarMar and Bleecker like this.
  14. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA

Its a nice way to say he was plain old lying. He didn't have to, he could've just said what he had bought it for, that would justify asking $250 (to him) and I would've passed because I already have a T20...although I don't have an Ash Peavey in natural yet.

I sent him a short message stating I found him out.

Cheers

MarMar likes this.
  15. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I must have good luck. I have 2 Foundations, a T-20, and a Patriot and all adjust with my Gibson wrench.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021