1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-20?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletch, Mar 23, 2006.

1. I love old Peavey stuff, are these any good? This one is killing me!!! It's so purrty!!! 89_12.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are you sure it's not a T-40? And yes, it shore is purty. I had a T-40 in about 1980, and it was actually a good-sounding bass. Heavier than the Titanic, though.

Nope, you're right, it's a T-20.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sure that's a T20. The first bass I ever bought was a T20. I think I paid around $200 for it. Nice bass. Here is a picture of me 20 some years ago playing mine.
    [​IMG]
    Damn I was skinny and had hair on top of my head!
    Still got the same lead singer!

4. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Yeah It is a T-20 Not a 40, only one pick up.
    Rock solid Bass with a great Maple fingerboard, And a very solid sound. (side note also great in bar fights, Didnt happen to me but once saw a guy hit someone with one, bass was fine, the drunk not so good!!!):D

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    There is a single pup version of the T-40 called a T-45. the T-20 has a different pup/bridge/control setup. It was intended as more of a "student" bass than the T40 or the T45.

6. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    ^^^ you know you are right, I forgot about the 45. It sucks getting old!!!! Thank you for reminding me, I remember the T 60 guitar and T 40 and T 20 bass, had to think for a moment:bag:

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Funny thing about the T-60 is I find guys just as dedicated to them as T-40 owners are to the T-40. :D There was also a "student guitar called the T-15.

8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    There is also a nearly identical peavey bass that has a slightly different shaped body, but same super ferrite pickup in the same position and I think the same guard. It was called the Peavey "Patriot". I wonder if there were any other differences, such as neck profile?

Anyone?

9. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    That blue color and black pickguard combo is pretty sweet.

I have an '84 Fury which is nearly identical to that T-20. Same slanted pickup, maple fretboard, etc. The Ash body/maple board combo makes for a bright, fat, Precision-esque tone. Those "super ferrite" pickups actually have nice output. The neck is pretty thick like a vintage precision and is super stable. Stays in tune forever.

They are great buys if you want Precision Bass tone, but dont want to pay Fender prices.

10. I found a T-20 over the weekend for $159 with OHSC. I just may be forced to buy it.

11. My brother (whom is very loyal to his) owns one of the Patriot guitars... He'll never ever sell it, as it was his first guitar. A real looker too, black on black with an all maple neck... Mhmmmm good!

-Ryan

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yep, its a T-20. I had one...

13. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    I think this is the only T-20 thread.

I just picked up this battle axe. Cleaned it up a little and put new strings on it. Will test drive it through my amp tomorrow, don't have it here! I played it through a real small amp to initially test it.

Serial# 01184080 means it is a 1982 I believe.

[​IMG] [​IMG] th_349165930_Image0136_122_1142lo.
    [​IMG] th_349172956_Image0138_122_509lo.

14. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Looks strange no matter how many times I see it that slanted pickup looks strange unnatural even but, they sound like sex!

I never tried one just heard clips.
    Can you make an ATK sound similar too it?

15. I saw on the web there is a T40 website -is there anything like that for fans of the T20? I have on that I would like to flip for some GAS and I would like to know the value of these. I know EBAY is a crapshoot for pricing.

16. No love for the T20 here on TB?

17. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    I have an early Fury which is very similar. Nice bass, plays well. The body may be a bit smaller (than a T-20); probably weighs less.
    Seemed that the early T-20s were at least as heavy as the T-40s.
    If I had more space I would get one.

18. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Quite a bit, actually. Check out the U.S. Peavey Club thread. Lots of love for lots of Peaveys.

19. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Early fury are the gen right after t20 neck is rounder than legendary pencil necks

Patriots had several neck profiles and sound much brighter

20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Trashed = 150
    Special/pristine=450

Add 50~75 for an own contour case