1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey T-40...5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mola Ram, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    I've done a lot of searching, and I pretty much know I'm clutching at straws, but does anyone know if Peavey are made a 5 string version on the T-40?

2. I would doubt it....I have gotten daily emails from ebay (worldwide) for the last 4 years on every T40 that gets listed. I havent seen one

TMB

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No, they didn't.

4. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    pooooooooo

Thanks for the info guys!

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

Absolutely did not.

6. Peavey seems to be the exception when it comes to manufacturing decent stuff in the US and keeping the price point kind of normal. I wonder if there would be a possibility of them reissuing the T-40 (and a "T-50") made in the US at a decent price, or is it too much of a niche market?

Those things are Swiss Army basses. Lots of sounds in there.

7. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    A T-40 could be turned into a 5 string if you could handle the narrow string spacing. Add a tuner, new nut and bridge. It'd be a fun project. I'd plug the tuner holes, veneer the peghead and put mini tuners 5 in a row to keep the neck dive down.

No chance of a re-issue. It's not the Peavey philosophy when there are many thousands out there that will sell for little $$$. FWIW, this is my version of a 5 string T40. TL-5 with T-40 pickups and knobs. Pickup holes had been butchered when I got it. Put a D-tuner on the E, too. Made the aluminum topnut and TR cover. Extra switch is for HB/SC.
    mech
    RedTL_5Panorama.

8. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    If you leave a T-40 in Jeff Rath (Ric5)'s neighborhood, you might suddenly end up with one!

eukatheude likes this.
  9. Nope

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Actually there is a t-40 at my local Music-go-round ...

I am thinking of buying it and dismantling it putting the electronics in a different bass with 5 strings. One of my frankenstened fender or fenderbird or SG basses.