1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-40 caps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by themaestro78, Oct 17, 2013.

  1. themaestro78


    Sep 27, 2011
    hello folks, I am going to rewire my T-40 with push pull volume controls and .047 caps on the tone pots. All pots will be 250k audio. my real question is what are the other caps function (c2 and c4 on the diagram). Are they necessary?

    here is the diagram for reference

    Thanks in advance for any info you all may have
  2. .
    Sorry, not actually answering your enquiry themaestro78, but do you know the scope of what the T-40's OEM (albeit initially confusing) wiring does?
    It can re-produce a lot of different bass sounds!

    I recently bought my first T-40 and there's no way on earth I'd ever change it's electronics!

    Video explaining some of the sounds of the T-40

    Peavey T-40 Owners Manual
  3. themaestro78


    Sep 27, 2011
    yup I understand. my plan is to be able to have full tone control in both single coil and humbucker. I'm undecided whether or not to reconnect the phase switch and just leave it unhooked since i never use it or plan to. Maybe i'll try and use it to select what coil i want to use in the neck...maybe
  4. .
    Ok, fair enough then. :)

    I'd be hooking it up for sure.
    Nice to have the option.
  5. mech

    mech Supporting Member

    Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    The tone pots are 250K "S" taper and are different from audio and linear taper. I suggest you replace them with audio taper and carefully store the original tone pots. There are no more "new" ones unless they are custom made. $$$$$$$$.

    Use the same coil as is currently used in the neck PU for single coil. Otherwise it will be out of phase with the single coil mode of the bridge PU unless you switch it also. If you use the bridge PU in HB mode while the neck PU is in SC, it makes no difference.

  6. themaestro78


    Sep 27, 2011
    thanks for the tip mrch, but what about those caps, what are they doing?
  7. Crater


    Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Those caps are treble bypass caps, sometimes called treble bleed caps. The idea is to keep the tone the same as the volume is rolled off.
  8. themaestro78


    Sep 27, 2011
    hey cool! thanks Crater i think I'll put them back in when i rewire it.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.