1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-40 Darkstar upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by manmountain8, Mar 19, 2008.

1. I want to put Darkstars in my 79 Peavey T-40. I bought it because I was short on cash and I wanted a solid piece of wood and good hardware, and it definitely delivers in that department. The tone is pretty nice, nice bottom end, and I realize how unique this instrument is with the Humbucker to single coil switch in the volume knob, 3 way switcher, and phase reversal switch; but I'm looking for a little more to cut through the mix. I've heard some good things about Darkstars and this is pretty much the only pickup that will work in a T-40. 500k pots and a custom pickguard is all I'll need to complete the setup. The whole thing will cost around 500-600 bucks. Is it worth it? Has any one else put darkstars in a T-40?
    Will the 3 way switcher still work?

2. ?

3. darkstars are single-coil pickups...

unlike a humbucker which has 2-coils and thus can be switched between parallel/single coil/series...the single coil can only be connected one way, single coil.

phase reversal can work...but it's really pretty useless unless you're into a really thin sound...

darkstars are quite transparent in tone...they are evenly timbred...so you'll get a good, clean representation of your bass sound and the sound of your fingers...no hiding behind "mud" with a darkstar...

question...if you like the tone of your T-40...why spend 500-600 to change it?

4. While I like the Darkstar thing, I think the T-40 would be diminished by this.

5. "question...if you like the tone of your T-40...why spend 500-600 to change it?"

I think the Tone is OK, it seems to work nice for blues, reggae, and ballads, but I'm looking for a little more to cut through for Psychadelic rock, and heavy jams. The tone is a little subdued and I don't get a lot of volume running direct. Rolling the volume knobs back to 7 only helps a little. Maybe there's something wrong with my pups. What I really want is a Peavey Custom Cirrus which would cost twice as much.

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Save the upgrade money and buy the bass you really want: there's nothing wrong with buying used, either. Keep the Peavey around as your second or blues/rock dedicated axe.

7. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
  8. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    + 1

For $500-600 you are within a few hundred dollars of a used Cirrius and you could have your pick of any number of used Peavey USA Millenniums. And you get to hang on to your T-40.

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    :confused:
    Have you tried the simple stuff first, new strings, etc? I can get my T-40 to sound more like a Ric than any other bass I own. Cutting through should be the least of your problems with a T-40.

10. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston

11. "You might be on to something here - the T-40 is known for having pretty hot pups for a passive bass."

I have had it in the shop a few times and everything appears normal, and I put new strings on more often than I need too.

I'm only comparing it to my USA Fender Jazz bass that I returned because the neck twisted up like a snake. The Jazz had a nice growl to it though. That was what inspired me to get a solid piece of wood. I play through a GK800RB bi-amped with an ampeg classic 4x10 and an SWR 2x10 so I guess I don't really have a problem getting a tone with the amp, I just thought maybe the darkstars were a little hotter and would have more to tone to work with. I guess I thought I would have a totally unique instrument but maybe leaving it alone is actually more unique.

12. Actually I am starting to think something is wrong. I've got some recordings from right after I bought it and had it set up and the tone cuts through nice. Ever since I broke the 3 way switch something has been funky. Back to the shop it goes.

13. If it turns out to be a pickup problem, you might want to consider a DiMarzio Model One (their drop-in for the Gibson EB-0). It's a humbucker ($80 new), and you can wire it for series, parallel, split-coil, etc.).

My 2 cents,
    -GB

14. "For $500-600 you are within a few hundred dollars of a used Cirrius and you could have your pick of any number of used Peavey USA Millenniums. And you get to hang on to your T-40."

Good point, I think I'll save for the Cirrus instead. The only thing that is scaring me off with the Darkstars is that I have heard they are not forgiving to bad technique. I am a mostly a fingerstyle player but I am really a converted guitar player. Dialing tone and technique have always been my weaknesses.

15. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    There are a bunch of ex-guitarists and not-so-ex-guitarists enjoying life on the low end. Welcome!

Since I was never much of a guitar player, I can't really say I converted. It was more that I was a bassist all along but it took me 35 years to figure it out.

Tone and technique will come in time and any quality instrument (and the Cirrus is certainly that) will help you along.

16. Prices seem to have gone up some lately but last year you could buy a four string Cirrus on eBay for $500-$600. I love Dark Stars because of their sensitivity and tone, but they are more sensitive to right hand technique than Peavey's VHL pickups in the Cirrus if that is a concern for you.

17. My fingerstyle technique is solid, but I am not a very good slapper, and I need to do a little bit of funkin in the band I'm in. I guess that's not enough to turn me off of the Darkstars. I think there are a lot more important things for me to buy first though.

18. "last year you could buy a four string Cirrus on eBay for $500-$600." I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for from a stock Cirrus yet. I've really got my heart set on a custom shop Cirrus built to my specs.

19. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Dark Stars are a very unforgiving pickup ... Dark Stars through an Audere pre-amp, well you better be on your game!

Black76.

It is however my favorite pickup, it rewards you with just a HUGE usable sound that I've yet to hear matched

:) ... Were I to do a DS conversion today, it would be either a Peavey T-45 or a MIM P-Bass.