Peavey T-40 for $550?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peeved T-40, Apr 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    My local guitar shop has a T-40 for sale for $550. I'm really interested but wanted to get some opinions.

I'm going back down there today to take a proper look at it. What are some things I should look out for? I've never bought a used bass before.

Also, My current Bass is an Ibanez SR250. They have pretty different string spacings and I was wondering how you guys deal with going back and fourth between basses with different string spacings?

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    550 is a good deal if it's in playable condition. Switches are often broken or replaced. Check the neck for bowing, also the necks were made in two pieces the glue joint runs the length front to back, make sure it isn't separating or the truss rod hasn't pushed it apart. Most are heavy northern ash, later painted ones are usually alder.

3. Bleecker

Bleecker Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    These days $550 is a good price for a T-40. Yes as GOT59 suggested check out the neck. Hopefully you can plug'er in and check the electronics...

Good luck!

bholder likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not a bad price for these days. Worth it if it's got the original electronics in good condition and a straight neck.

Big Shrek and Bleecker like this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    ...and get yourself a good 4" wide strap, T-40s are definitely not for the weak-shouldered. ;)

gitfiddl, Big Shrek, DrMole and 3 others like this.
  6. Kawai2g4b

Kawai2g4b

Oct 7, 2018
    If you haven’t checked it out yet, you won’t be disappointed if the neck is right. Bonus points if it had a rosewood neck like mine does.

As for string spacing, you just have to practice with it enough to where you adjust to it. But I may be in the minority with that suggestion.

bholder likes this.
  7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    That's a good price for a T40 in decent condition these days.

8. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    I can’t believe they go for that much these days. But I love a good t-40. Still for $550. If I didn’t have one. I’d jump on a good one at that price.

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    before you plug it in, inspect the bass, the neck -make sure the neck is straight, frets aren't too worn, no cracks on the neck, or headstock like behind near the tuning pegs. Also play the bass without plugging it in first, do this so you can listen to the fret buzzing if any. Plug it in, check the electronics.
    It's a good price if all checks out. Go to reverb and check out recent prices they sold for. (not just listed prices)
    In fact, look at those listings to get an idea of what parts original to the bass look like, pickups, bridge, knobs, tuners etc. so if this bass has something other than those, you'd know.

String spacing, I don't really have a problem going back and forth with basses.

10. Bleecker

Bleecker Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA

All good advice. Tell me, how do you see what products have sold for on Reverb?
    Thanks

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Bleecker likes this.
  12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    How bad is it?

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    $550 is about the going price for those in the know. The days are cheap American Peavey are just about over now that US production has been over a decade and the company no longer maintains parts. They still turn up cheaper. The store where I ordered my Geddy had one for $399 early this year, but it
    needed some work.

14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    unless mine is the oddball lemon IMO the 40s are way over-loved, it sounds like ****
    I'd suggest giving yours the best trial test possible before buying if costs are a factor.

MattZilla likes this.
  15. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Unless the shop owner and their employees all are waaaayyyy out of the loop on current T-40/45 “values”, it’s pretty much a guarantee that the neck has a twist and a permanent bow, needs a refret, is delaminating, there’s at least one thing wrong with the truss rod, and at least one of the pots is non-functional.

Maybe they’re just sick of people getting excited by it, picking it up, remarking on how heavy it is then hanging it back up. They just want it gone. If the shop is in the DC/Balt area, then I doubt this.

I’d be comfortable betting $5 that the neck is firewood.

kodiakblair likes this.
  16. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You must have a lemon, mine is one of the best sounding basses I own.

gitfiddl and Bleecker like this.
  17. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I doubt my typical fix of flatwounds will magically turn the thing into lemonade either...
    hating it eventually lead me to my awesome $30 Ibanez TR P bass so I thank the tank lol

18. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    So how was it? Did you buy it?
    I'm a fan of the T-40, but it's about as different as can be imagined from your SR250.

19. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    just posted a new thread on it
    My New (to me) Peavey T-40!

20. skycruiser

skycruiser Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    In Texas - says "Used - Like New" !!
    upload_2021-6-7_13-25-13.png

Bleecker and bholder like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022