Peavey T-40 found!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jan 13, 2002.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    For $175. I played it, and it had low action, played well, sounded well...
    As many people stated before, it was heavy though.

However, I'm thinking about trading an Ibanez SR800LE in for it... Which I don't play at all. Would this be a wise decision?

I didn't plug it in, because I was just walking through the place, while in the area, and didn't have tons of time.

It was in pretty good condition. I mean, it wasn't mint. The only problems I found were that the knobs were losing color, but I'm sure I could replace those (if I ever felt the need to spend the $2-3 on them)
  2. Seems kinda high for a T-40...
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Seems fair to me. I'm sure you'd check it out completely before buying. Get a good supportive strap (lots of threads on that, the 3" leather Levy is an easy one to find). Nice hardware, nice construction, nice bass.

The T-40 is a real sleeper, fast action, lots of tones including an out of phase setting. The pickups go from dual to single coil by turning the tone controls. I like them. Should you trade the Ibanez for it? Can't say... personally I would. I already know you don't have any peer pressure issues with Peavey;)
  4. p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    About that Ibanez, I would sell it, they easily get around $300. Then buy the T-40, you now have $120 for whatever you want.
  5. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    From what I've seen, that's a fair price for a T-40.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Well... I think I'll put like $25 down (maybe more?) on the T-40, which should be sufficient, considering how low the price is.

I'm thinking about trying to haggle it down to $150, which I think would be a steal.

They don't have an amp there, that's worth while checking it out on. I think I'll just take her home, basing nearly solely on what I've heard.

It's a nice natural color, too.

It looks like it's maple neck, maple board, and possibly maple body? That would make it's weight easily understandable.

I think I'll call tommorrow. :)

The action was really low, and surprisingly, it wasn't even getting much fret buzz.

Brad, I would rather have the T-40 than the Ibanez, also. My Ibanez is extremely light, but doesn't get a tone I really want. If it's weight vs tone, I'd take tone. :)

Does anyone know how much the T-40's sold for, originally?

P.S. Thanks for all the replies. :)
  7. lucco

Dec 22, 2001
    I don't remember exactly what they went for,when I bought mine about twenty years ago, but it was about $425. I recently sold mine, in mint condition, for $200. I thought it was a fair price. I liked the bass but it just got too heavy for me.
  8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Well, it wouldn't be a main bass, it'd be more of my spare. My main bass is a Music Man Sterling. :)

I should be able to take the T-40, and just balance it on it's rear humbucker, to get a punchy/articulate sound.
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've always liked the T-40... like Brad says, it's a sleeper. I think people may have been put by the weight, and the looks take a bit of getting used to, but I've always dug the tone, and someday, I'll bite on one of those that crop up on ebay...

10. I've always liked my T-40 (And I've said so on other posts :) ). Sounds great thru the SVPpro of mine. I just Series the 2 p/u's, and tone 7 on bridge tone 5 on the neck. Fast neck, metal nut, string thru body. I've never had a prob holding mine up, but I'm a baaaaaaad man. Well, maybe not...maybe it's I'm a biiiiiiiig man. Yah...that's it.

Contrats on the T-40. Local store around here has 2 for sale...around $175. So I guess that's about the going rate. Plus ya gotta love the super 70's brown lining in the case. Mmmmm...turd brown.
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    T-40s show up all the time on ebay in the $200-300 range. If it's excellent condition, $175 is a good price.
  12. I am fairly certain that the T-40's body is made of Oak. I had a friend who owned one... as heavy as it was, I believe it. But I clearly remember reading an article on them where it revealed that the body is Oak. A good price indeed for almost any Peavey, let alone a vintage one!

Make sure you get a padded strap so you don't saw your arm off at the shoulder! :D
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm kind of guessing it's not going to come with a case. I'm also hoping it doesn't, seeing as I have like 2 extra hardshell cases, as is.

I'm going to call tommorrow, and try and get some $$ down on it, probably. :)
  14. Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    [I am fairly certain that the T-40's body is made of Oak. I had a friend who owned one... as heavy as it was, I believe it. But I clearly remember reading an article on them where it revealed that the body is Oak.]

I have some old Monitor magazines (Peavey's official company product rag) from the mid-to-late-80's and they say that the T-40 was available with a maple or ash body, depending on the year. Earlier ones were maple. No mention of oak at all.
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I always thought they had ash bodies. My bro had a T-60 guitar. Not bad construction and hardware but sounded pretty poor.
  16. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I recently gave a PV T-40 with the original teardrop case to a neighbohood kid whose parents couldn't really afford an instrument.
  17. I paid $300 for mine new in '79. That included a hard case.
  18. My uncle owns a black T-40 and I have played it a few times, it plays really nice and I have been trying to convince him to sell it but he won't. I can understand why since it was his first bass.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's amazing how these things have held their resale value over the years. They were around $400 new(the natural one was IIRC $75 more) including case, and I have seen mint ones go for $400 on Ebay. Beaters usually go between $150 - $250, with the natural finish appearing to fetch the most $$$.

They were made of northern ash, which is the heaviest commonly used tone wood. Warmoth specs a northern ash Strat body at 5+ pounds, and these things have about 2.5 times as much body wood as a Strat. Plus, they have a massive bridge, and big old humbuckers that weigh almost a pound each.

Like Brad said, they are real sleepers. There are a ton of great tones lurking in that circuitry. The humbucking to single coil switching based on the tone knob setting was an ingenious idea, but it never caught on because during those years, unless you were in a country band, Peavey=%$#@. Nobody played them, and nobody respected them. I had one, and like a dummy, gave in to peer pressure and sold it to get an Electra-Westone:rolleyes::(.

Like Robert said, someday I am going to bite on one of these on Ebay.
  20. I bought my natural finish T-40 in fair condition for $90.00. I then found the matching molded hardcase for $10.00. That's why i think $175.00 is a little high. I'm just too cheap to pay that much for one.