Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey T-40 Needs a new pair of pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    [​IMG]

For reference

I know very little of pickups, those would be humbuckers wouldn't they? What should I throw in this bad boy, it has really sweet vintagy tone with a bit of bite to it, I really dig it, very unique from what I've heard. But one of the pickups is blown and the other is heading in that direction. But new electronics and some new knobs and it will be looking/sounding nice.

Weighs about as much as a train though. :meh:

2. you might be able to find some replacements. check with peavey. if that fails, check patiently with ebay.

robb.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm wondering, I've never personally seen humbuckers, are those what those are? Or are they specially sized for the Peavey T-40?

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, here's my story with this so far...

My friend wanted to give it to me for free + a free amp. Now, free kicks ass, but I felt bad. So I gave him 50 bucks, which was all I had at the time. Anyhoo, it sounds OK, but it has a blown out sound when I use an agressive attack when I switch to the one pickup, the other one crackled and distorted. I take it to get it fixed.

The guy at the store disabled the crackle/distort pickup and told me the bass was a beater, not worth fixing up at all. But I dig it's sound a lot, very woody. When I use a light touch it sounds alright, in fact, I recorded a tune with it today. But it could sound better.

Funny thing is, I went back to that store a while back and they had a Peavey-T40 in the store going for $500. Hmm, not worth fixing, yet if it's fixed it's worth $500 used... :rollno:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh yeah and sorry about the pic, It's not mine. I don't have means to easily get a good pickup shot, but I will measure the pickups tommorow if I can find a ruler.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly! If you get stuck, send it to me and I'll take a look and do any work I can for cost of parts (plus shipping obviously).

Like Smash says, it could well be the pots. If you have to replace the pickups, I'm not sure where you'd start. Peavey have typically used their own pickups, which don't usually match up size wise / screw position wise with after market pickups. As rcz said, you can call Peavey parts department (they're very friendly) and ask them if they have any.

But if you measure the existing pickups, maybe there is a close match out there from Bart/SD/whomever.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Cool, thanks, if I run into further problems I'll let you know. I'd rather have to ship it to a guy who knows what he's doing rather than leave it to the guys around here.

I measured, It's 4 1/8 by 2 1/8. That's the entire holding area included, there seems to be casing around the casing it from what little I know of pickups.

I'll take it apart, I'm pretty good with basic wiring, I had to switch a pot on my Yamaha a while back and it wasn't too hard. I'll also check with Peavey, thanks guys.

8. Those are great bassess no doubt. Their weight is legendary.

Sounds like bad pots or slipped wiring somewhere. I would just pull it apart and rewire the whole thing. Those PV pickups have the hot and ground wires wrapped together so they are very easy to handle.

If it's a beater all the more reason to experiment.

The pickups have mounting rings like les pauls so they are hard to replace, but I'm sure you can find used ones out there. Hell, I've got a T-40 bridge pickup laying around. Let me know if you need it.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd like at this point to say, Talkbass is awesome.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm getting a bit of a run around. Peavey doesn't carry them anymore, they told me to check stewmac, I emailed them. *crosses fingers*

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT. I haven't checked the wiring yet, so I'm just checking...

12. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    No doubt about it, you need to
    go to the Dudepit and enter
    the Dark Star Forum.

Talk to Fred Hammon, his pickups
    are amazing, and would make your
    Peavey a *monster*

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Agreed! But, those Dark Star pups are a little pricey. When the bass only cost $50, maybe it's do-able. I guess it depends on how much Matt wants to spend. I do like the Dark Star idea though...

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I will look into that... I do like the sound of my Peavey being a monster. :ninja: