Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey T-40 Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Orco87, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    It's my first bass that was given to me by my older bro. I believe it's an 85, and I don't want to give her up, solid bass, heavey as all get out and beautiful tone.

With that being said, the bridge pickup doens't work anymore :( . I need to find a replacement. I did a search and the one thread I found was dating back to 01' so I dunno if that pickup is still being made.

It's a dual single-coil humbucker. I would like to keep this as original as possible and keep the electronics passive, I don't really want to re-work/wire everything.

Any directions/suggestions would help out a bunch! Thanks!

2. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Have it fixed/rewired. It doesn't cost that much.

4. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas

how much does that usually come up to?

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    depends whether it's the pickup, the pot, or just a wire that's come loose, do you know which it is?

6. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas

Checked the connections to all (it's sittin' on top of my amp all apart right now). With both volumes and tones at 10, I can tap the neck pickup and hear that amplified, when switched to the bridge, I tap and hear nothing.

Granted, not a legit test, but I believe it's the pickup itself.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Quite the contrary, it is a legit test. What it doesn't tell you is why it's not putting out. Another thing to think about is at least some of those had phase switches which means equal volume on both pups will be your weakness output when out of phase - although they should both have output. Check harmonycentral.com for T-40 reviews and clues.

To be sure it's the pup and not a connection, desolder the leads (making a diagram of where the colors came from - no matter how simple it looks thinking you'll remember) and check with a meter. Seems mine has 3 leads and a ground (maybe 4 leads) anyway, it's wierd cause 3 of them are connected internally. Whatever it is, I'm guessing the other pup should be the same way cuase to my knowledge the bridge and neck are identical pups.

If you determine it's the pup, those pups show periodically on ebay quite reasonable - about $50 or less complete with surround/screws. Probably a half dozen showed for about a month and hadn't seen them before or since. You could also put a wanted add in the TB classifieds (if you're a supporting member) or put one on bassgear.com - and I bet you'll get a hit or two within a month if not within a week.

Having it rewound is really out of the question cause it will run you $150 and that pup's not worth it cause 1) that's a large routing and you can buy whatever used dropin for replacement and a have a surround fashioned for $100 total easy without screwing the bass up in the processs and 2) you'll run across one eventually anyway. Rewind some old Fenders yeh, cause it'll cost that much anyway and you KNOW what you've got.

In fact, I've got a Barcus Berry HB with a surround that looks like a drop I'd sell you for $50 shipped after I've run it. That saves you a $100 over a rewind right there. So there are more options around than you may think.

8. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    thanks for all the info, I'll def. keep ya in mind if I'm unable to find something else.

I went to the peavey site a while ago and dl'd the manual. The wiring is highly strange to me and I don't understand why the pickups aren't wired the same, but I have a feeling it's for that 2 position phase selector switch which of course broke when I was rolled out of bed and accidently took the switch w/ me when I hit the floor. It's currently in the "in phase" position and I can't pry or move it to the other position, so I need to replace that.

I've started one too many projects at one time :scowl: and once again the t-40 is gonna have to take a backseat, but I just wanted to see what my options were when I'm ready to get back to good band playin' condition. :bassist:

Thanks all for the replies and offers, keep em' comin' if you have something to add. :D

9. Did you ever find any pickups that fit well in the T40? I just bought one this evening that is missing the bridge pickup and I want to replace it. I really like the tone on these with just the neck pickup, but don't want the gaping hole near the bridge.

10. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Not a very cheap solution, but I seem to recall that someone around here put some DarkStars in their T-40. I had intended to do that to mine, but I sold it before I got to it.

Rob

11. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas

When I did a search (all I typed was peavey t-40) I found some guy put dimarzio pickups in his... I think he needed to figure a way to mount them or somethin. Those pickups can be found on musicians friend. Other then that, the other search results that came up the links were too old and I haven't checked to see of those pickups were still sold.

12. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    If you haven't gotten on the Peavey forum, I HIGHLY recommend it. Here's a link I think that you'll find it to be very useful. They'll also be happy to give you the date yours was made as well. You also might even run into Chip Todd there as well (the designer of the T series instruments). Just a thought!

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I thought I heard same thing but you may have heard it from me and I may have been mistaken. I know I bought my T-40 pup off a guy in Hawaii that I thought he said he'd swapped Darkstars out for. But he said it was a Starfire bass he used the Darkstars in. Darkstar's known for their Starfire replacements and those are different size pups than the T-40.

14. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    I also recommend the Peavey forum. Chip does post there. I know him. He's doing a radical custom T-40 to 5 string conversion for me. He's an unbelievable wealth of knowledge. I don't think he has any T-40 pickups, however. He's easily reachable and quite friendly. Might be able to point you in the right direction. Try these links:

http://www.peaveyt60.com/ ....he posts here very often. If you navigate to "Chip's Corner" and then "CTE Customs" and scroll 3/4 of the way down that page you'll see some rough pics of my 5 stringer.

http://www.chiptodd.com/ ....his home page.

Hope this helps.

15. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    you guys rock, thanks for the all the info

when I get back home I'll def. see what year the bass is.

I might email chip about all the other lil' problems that the bass has and get factory specs as to action height, bridge saddle (?) measurements, etc.

thanks again!