Peavey T-40 pickups replacement.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tigerclaw_x, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Tigerclaw_x

Tigerclaw_x

Apr 25, 2016
    Hey, folks. About 150 dollars and I have Peavey T40 BODY, top cover and bridge in near mint condition. I even have all 4 pots and pickup selector switch. One thing that I do not have is pickups.
    The used T40 blade pickups cost about $125+ each on ebay and reverb. This price seems to be extraordinary, since I can have fender double j pickup for about half of that. And Aguilar or Nordstrand for about same price. With EMG or Phase 2 Seymour Duncan for less than that too.
    Were those T40 pickups THAT GOOD that they warrant such high price? What pickups sound the closest to original T40s? Would Peavey VFL pickups from Peavey Grind sound similar?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Part of the reason for the cost is the fact that they’re no longer made.

But yeah, they’re pretty kickass pickups.

(And frankly, $125 isn’t particularly expensive for a really good pickup.)

3. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Dark stars or the new bisonic darkstars from Curtis Novak drop straight in

MCF, spaz21387 and oMetaloHead like this.
  4. oMetaloHead

oMetaloHead

Jul 9, 2013
    I loved how my T-40 played, but after 6 years I sold it just because I could never get the sound that I wanted. I tried countless strings and all the many settings on it, but they always felt either too boomy or too brittle, and never had the tone in my head. They weren't played on any well known records (that I know of), so they probably won't sound like your favorite bass players. If I were in your position, I'd be looking at other pickups other than the originals. I've never played Darkstars on a solid body, but I'd be more interested in those than the originals.

5. Tigerclaw_x

Tigerclaw_x

Apr 25, 2016
    But were those pickups better than Seymur Duncan Phase 2? Were they better than Nordstrand?

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    do you have a neck?

if not, you got took; there ain't nothing else gonna fit besides another t-40 neck

7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Not better or worse, just different. The reason the price is so high is because they sound great, and many many many people use them in custom builds and in other basses due to their sound. Add that to the fact that they are no longer made, that makes the price go up significantly. I have a T-40 and would never consider changing the pickups. The ability to go single coil or humbucker is nice as well. If you ever intend to sell it, I believe the value will be highest in the original configuration.

8. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Only your ears can answer that.

merseymale likes this.
  9. @Tigerclaw_x
    Couple of problems with using Grind pickups. 1st is the same soapbars in a Grind get used in both 4 and 5 string models so they're much wider than the T40 ones. VFLs are also wider and they're active too so you'd need to power them from a battery. MM type pickups are another set that are wider than T40.

Your options are kinda limited. Best bet is either just buy the pickups you want,rout the body to take them and get someplace to make you a pickguard. Or buy T40 pickups.

mech likes this.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

A complete T40 is worth roughly 450. Do the math and you know why you got the body for150.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    The Super Ferrite pickups in the T-40 have their signature sound just like most good pickups do.

Considering how the pickup(s) and strings make up better than 90% of the sound you hear coming from a solidbody, if you radically change the pickup you end up with a different bass.

If you’re not particularly enamoured of the T-40 sound, there’s lots of good pickups with interesting characteristics you can explore. There’s Darkstars, Guild and Curis Novak BiSonics, Thunderbuckers, the TV Jones Thunder family, etc.

It all comes down to what you like. If you want the T-40 sound, get the T-40 pickups.

Luck!

Oh yeah - I think the T-40 pickups are worth what they’re going for most times. But that’s me. YMMV.

12. I don't think the T-40 used what are commonly referred to "Super Ferrite" pickups. The Super Ferrite tag usually refers to the single coil pickups found in Foundation and Fury basses of the same era, whereas the T-40 pickups were humbuckers. The early T-40 pickups had plain black "coil covers"; later models had a visible blade in those covers.

All that said, for the OP, I may still have a pair of original pickups stashed somewhere. I'll PM you if I can find them.

mech likes this.
  13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    The reason i stick to MIM J basses is i suffer from terminal tinkeritus so i tend to use whatever platform allows for the simplest modding and modding is all about availability of options.
    That said, i would love to have an old 5 string Dyna Bass but i shy away from the ones i’ve seen because they all needed something that was going to require research and high prices. When i find one that is still ready to tweak to my liking and play, i’m prolly gonna own it if the price is anywhere near reasonable.

merseymale likes this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    You are correct. I was thinking of the single magnet blade design (late 1982 and later) as opposed to the dual magnet “toaster” (1978-82) version.

gitfiddl likes this.
  15. Tigerclaw_x

Tigerclaw_x

Apr 25, 2016
    I NEVER seen T40 for 450 bucks. They go for about 500-650+ on ebay and reverb. Body - 150. Neck (from China, I already fit one) - 80. Thats 230. Two decent pickups about 150-180. Be it Seymour Duncan Phase 2 or EMG HZ or Nordstrand. I actually have a set of EMG SSDs laying in the same box as T40... So if all else fails I will just put SSD there. But I would MUCH rather put something better. Payin 250 for a pair of used pickups is out of question. When a set of Nordstrands, or SD Phase 2 cost less than that...

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

17. Tigerclaw_x

Tigerclaw_x

Apr 25, 2016
    I am telling you what I see them for now. In any case, I just want to know should I go with SD Phase 2? EMG HZs/SSDs? or Nordstrands (Big Blade, Big Split, Fat Stack or Dual blade). Sure if I can get original T40 for similar price, I will grab them, but in case I do not. Which one of the models I mentioned would sound the closest to T40?

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    If you want the T-40 to sound and operate like a T-40 I'd stick with the original pickups. It was a well designed package. I think going elsewhere would be like swapping pickups in a Cirrus, Ken Smith or Alembic. Haven't seen that work yet.

Scarcity affects price.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Just know that whatever of those you install, the value of the instrument might end up less than a stock one.

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

None of these Imho.
    Electronics and pickups both are very peculiar on the T40 if you want to get this tone they are pretty much mandatory.
    This kind of tone is not in today's fashion at all
    The only pickups I can think of that come close are the Schaller 232 and the Di Marzio X2NB. I think they're both discontinued.

scuzzy likes this.