Peavey T-40 price jumping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Oct 6, 2016.

1. I was cruisin' the ebay highway a minute ago and checked up on the T-40 to see what the market was like for them, and I noticed a pretty substantial jump from just months ago. I searched them earlier this year and they were going for $300-$400, but this time I only saw one for less than $500, and it was an OBO listing (which always seems like desperation pricing to me). What's the deal? Anybody got any insight on the leap?

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I think it's just they're being rediscovered by a new generation. And the price simply reflects the shift in the supply/demand curve.

And IMO, Peavey never made a bad instrument. The T-60 guitar is pretty interesting too.

3. My buddy plays a T-60 in his local band and he swears by it. This is why I'm always checking back in on the T-40!

4. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    I bought one recently in Canada for 499 with original case in very good shape. There's another one for sale up here with one of the more rare finishes for 800...without a case...

5. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    It has a lot going for it.

It has a neck tilt in addition to a truss rod.

Each tone control switches the blade pups between single coil and humbucking (7 and above is single coil setting).

Phase switch for pups (When both in use).

Solid die-cast bridge.

Solid body.

Built like a tank.

It was the first body using a CNC machine for routing. Consistent quality in manufacturing.

Some owners have changed the electronics trying to "improve" the sound. You have to watch out for that. I think it lessens the value, IMO.

The guitar has a very wide range of sounds and emulates quite a few well known basses.

Here's a link to an older article that talks about the history:

The Peavey T-60 and T-40 story, as told by Chip Todd.

B-Mac, mbell75, JIO and 2 others like this.
  6. I picked mine up used from GC a couple years ago for $300, and that was with a case and I got them to throw in a nice strap too. That was up from $200 just a year or two before. If you can find one local you could probably score a sweeter deal than $500, just gotta be patient. But yeah, online at least, I anticipate the price to just keep rising at least a little. I think the only thing keeping these from going for serious cash is the weight, but that can be dealt with with a nice padded strap and giving your shoulder frequent enough breaks. But yeah, if you find a good deal on one, you have the cash, and you know you'd play it, grab one while you can.

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I kept meaning to get one since they came out. But life got in the way. However, I finally corrected that this year for well below $400 when I found one in excellent shape on eBay. And I have to tell you, these basses are truly amazing.

One thing they really excel at is being used with effects. They have a pretty broad range of natural tones although at the core of it there's a certain clarity I've only found on one other bass. And when you plug it into some effects, the sun comes out and it really takes off.

I'm not too big on effects for bass most times. But these T-40s really sing when you throw a few into your signal chain.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    All of the reasons above plus - they don't make them anymore. ;)

I have 2-T40's and 1-T20.

btmpancake likes this.
  9. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I paid $225 for my 78' natural, and $180 for my 83' white finish, both with original indestructible cases. I still regret letting go of the 78'.:banghead:

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    $500 for a nice T40 is way better than $2,500 for a beat to hell and back Fender Jazz.;)

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

So true! :thumbsup:

But that's me. :laugh:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. vintage Peavey have been undervalued and underpriced for many years. the market is just starting to catch up.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Also, there no new American Peaveys. The supply cannot go up, only the price can.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Agree. The base prices seem to be inching up about $50 per year.

If course if somebody big suddenly did a 'Cobain' on the T-40 - like Curt did for the lowly Fender Mustang…

15. PokeyPrasch

PokeyPrasch Son of the Angry

Aug 19, 2013
    Moxee, WA
    None
    Peavey (USA) in general has been increasing in price, it's been a rollercoaster but I think the days of a $200 T-40/T-60 are gone.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I got a low mileage natural finish T40 with the funky brown fur lined plastic case for $75.00 and the guy i got it from told me he'd been tring to sell it for a couple months.

But that was back when Peavey instruments were even more vilified than MIJ Fenders, and i was too poor to worry about the opinions of the local experts.

It replaced an old hollow body thing with a fender style headstock with a logo that looked like a rectangular stick on mailbox letter thing. I think it was an Ayar but i'm 100% sure on that. What i am sure of was the top was seperating from the sides and after several failed attempts to glue it back together, only to have it seperate someplace else, i broke my piggy bank and went looking for another bass. After a solid month of looking, i found three basses i could afford and the T40 was by far the nicest example of the bunch. It was in truth the finest bass I'd ever owned up to that point, and beyond, until i got my US J Plus in the early 90's.

17. ThatLowEnd

ThatLowEnd Dirt, Trucks, BBQ, Whiskey

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    I bought a 1984 T40 TSB and paid over $600. Birth year bass, rare finish, etc. There is a Natural Maple finish T40 at Sam Ash Canoga Park, CA right now for $299.

18. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I suspect that the dramatic upswing in T-40 prices is due in large part to a minor feeding frenzy being fed by the proliferation of threads here on TB about them. For years nobody wanted them; then they started to get some traction here as great bargains. The combination of not that many of them available at any given time with the idea that they were some secret great deal made them desirable; that desirability reached critical density and they have continued to spiral up in cost. I attribute this to TB because you pretty much never hear about or see T-40s anywhere else. The only one I've seen out in the world belonged to a woman who played in a band with me, and she bought it from me. My dad had one back when I was in high school, but I bought mine more recently . . . after reading about them again on TB. (I got mine for about $200 with a case, but that was like eight or nine years ago.)

I acknowledge that they are and always were well-made and very versatile basses, but those qualities alone don't necessarily drive up value of old basses.

Mosstone likes this.
  19. rodv66

rodv66 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    Same reason lawsuit basses are so expensive. Many were great quality and solidly built.

20. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Great bass, but after I got a really nice 1979 natural finish with OHSC I really came to the opinion it wasn't for me. I tried getting my original investment of $520 for it but that wasn't going to happen too soon. I got an offer to trade for a near mint 2006 MTD KZ5 that was Korean made. I really couldn't pass that up. I figured the worth of the MTD surpassed the T-40 and the MTD was more my style.

I can see the T-40 going up in price but the weight is definitely a killer and I don't mind a heavier bass but T-40s are way too heavy.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021