1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-40 proper care and feeding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poomwah, Mar 17, 2008.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I just got my t-40 and I don't know what to use on it to clean it. More importantly I don't know what NOT to use. Its a natural finsih. I can feel the grain so its not sealed or clear coated. Is it an oil finish? what kind of oil? Should I be doing anything to help preserve it? rubbing in some oil? just wipe it down with a damp rag?

2. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    DON'T clean it. it spoils the mojo.

3. I use Homer Formby's lemon oil on mine. It cleans, shines and smells like lemon FUNK. :bassist:

4. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    thanks knifemaker :] I like lemon oil :]

5. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I use Old English lemon oil. I gather thats ok? And I agree with the mojo there de1orean but I gotta get my T40 coming in as spotless squeaky clean as I can. Then I get /my/ mojo on it :p I also consider Mojo things like marks of use (not abuse) over dirt to be honest. :p Every ding and dent in an axe is a story I think.

6. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Congrats on the T-40!

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Not sure if the T-40 is an oil finish or something else, but according to the definitive finishing reference book Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner:

"MYTH: Oil finishes should be maintained with lemon oil
    FACT: Lemon oil, an oily mineral-spirits solvent with a lemon scent added, is a very short-lived maintenance product. It is a furniture polish that will help pick up dust, add temporary shine to a dull surface, and reduce scratching until it evaporates--which it will do within a few days."

(Full disclosure: I copped this quote from an old Roger Sadowsky post on Usenet.)

8. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I feed my T-40 with sweat

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    tidbits:
    In the early stages of development, both Hartley and Chip decided they wanted the finish to be “tough as an airplanes”. Emron urethane is used on airplanes, however it is incredibly cost prohibitive, so Chip had Sherwin Williams come in and work up a formula for them.

Initial paint booths had a waterfall to catch overspray. After the T-60’s had been in production for about 2 months, Peavey learned about a clear liquid they could dip the bodies into which made them conductive to static electricity. This enabled Peavey to electro-statically spray the bodies. Using this method, the paint misted out of the gun, and literally wrapped itself around the guitar body. The electrostatic process was used with both the clear and color coats, and was another industry first. Other guitar manufacturers simply weren’t using methods this advanced. You can imagine how this made the competition scramble!

source: http://www.peaveyt60.com/index.html

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Chip is still around and working http://www.chiptodd.com/

11. The finish on my T-40 is so thin that the lemon oil absorbs into the wood. I have an early one (79) though. Whatever the finish is OR was is very thin to say the least. I just give it a coat of lemon oil a couple times a year to make it look nice and not "dry".

12. jtre

jtre

Nov 22, 2007
    i'm the original owner of a tobacco or sierra sunburst T-40 (brown, not natural, mkay?) that i ignored for years. i notice that although it has an undentable gloss coat, the pores in the dark grain pattern are open. no other bass that i have, however old, has that going on, it's the way they are, i suppose. i don't see any harm in throwing some furniture oil on a thirsty piece of wood, but what do i know?
    two more things: i've got this bass hooked up now & it plays incredibly, wide neck, great tone, play it more now than ever before.
    also, I saw a thread (that i can't find now ) about the strap & T-40 weight. i used regular narrow ( 2 & 1/2" ) cotton straps. the one i used for this brown anvil was given when i bought it, an "Earth III" with leather ends. maybe those big straps are overkill & dig into your shoulder, i never recall being bothered by it's weight.
    however, once i was wearing a Fender strap & a kid in the crowd tells me at the bar 'you know that's not a Fender' ( i'm a Fender guy! , i've got like 90 of 'em ), so i never used that strap on this guitar, lest i be schooled by some kid again on guitar strap etiquette

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It's here.