Peavey T-40 replacement neck candidates

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MegaFuzzBass, Mar 1, 2018.

1. No it's so stupid it's terrible

50.0%
  2. Yes it's so stupid it's great

50.0%
  1. MegaFuzzBass

MegaFuzzBass

Feb 28, 2018
    Less than a week ago I miraculously came into possession of a T-40 body w/pickguard & pots for less than $40 shipped.
    First thing's first I'm sort of a cheapskate. I recently bought my first bass (I previously used my dad's bass) for $40 sans strings. Fast-forward a few months and I'm using it to play fuzzbass in an alt-rock two piece (like if Death from Above covered Zeppelin). I'm thinking this fingerbleeding P/J bass copy (that I chiseled out to fit a music man humbucker, so I guess now it's a P/MM?) may become my backup bass, and the T-40 may become my go-to.
    Only problem is... it's just a body... and T-40's are ****ing expensive.
    I know some of you are laughing but like I said I'm cheap. A $400 bass guitar is literally 10x as expensive as what is working for me now.
    There's a T-40 neck on eBay right now for around $150, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. It would put my investment in this instrument up to the $200 mark, and I would still need at least another $200 for a set of genuine pickups, and even then I'd still need a bridge, tuners, etc. Out of my price range, somewhat drastically I might add.
    I think my solution is to build some kind of a frankenbass. Reverb, ebay, etc are littered with Fender style necks, but those are way too wide at the heel to fit a T-40, at least not without major surgery. I'm thinking a long-scale Gibson style 20-fret neck might do the trick. I heard that someone swapped out the busted neck on their Grabber or Ripper with a T-40 neck and they said it was a snug fit, leading me to infer it might work pretty ok vice versa, or at least better than the fender route (pun intended).
    The closest thing I can get my paws on cheap is a bolt neck Epi Thunderbird in my area. It's gonna cost me a little less than the T-40 neck alone but I'm thinking I can make the Thunderbird's neck work, plus I'll have tuners and a set of passable pickups to hold me over until the perfect parts magically fall into my lap like this Peavey body did. I can also flip the Epi body on Reverb. In the meantime I'll have a FrankenEpiPeaveyphone. Am I stupid? ...Rhetorical. Is there anything big I'm missing? Anyone have any better ideas for a neck in my price range? Anyone going to say "Wait stop!" before I pull the trigger on this Thunderbird and potentially desecrate this mass produced Korean bass? (It has flower stickers on it btw)

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to TalkBass.
    First things first, you say it's "****ing expensive" You have to understand that expensive is a subjective word. T40s are available all day long for 5-700 dollars used, that isn't particularly expensive. For what you will pay for parts, you could just buy a T40. OR since the body is worth about $125 you could sell that body, add another $50 to that and get a decent used Squier or Epiphone. I would be inclined to bite the bullet and buy that neck now and other parts as you can afford them. If you go that route don't settle on any part that fits, except for strings, you need to get what came on the bass in order to recoup your investment if you decide to sell. I stumbled across another neck at reverb, same price. The hardest part to find may be the bridge, but there's one on reverb now. The tuners are Schallers and readily available.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Your bass, do what you want with it. I'm sure some Peavey fanciers here might have an opinion about someone modding a hard to come by body. But that's not really relevant.

That said, a Ripper neck won't work for you because Gibson Rippers have a set neck, not a bolt-on. So that's out.

Grabber and G-3 necks are bolt-on. But Gibson uses a 34.5" scale length rather than the standard 34" so it's not a good match for the Peavey. Gibson necks are also pretty rare and fairly expensive, so you won't find much in the way of bargains using one of those, assuming they'll fit to begin with.

Which brings up another point. If you're going to spend money on a mod - do not assign a lot of credibility to what people tell you when they say they know what somebody else did. Take accurate measurements yourself of what needs to be fitted and go from there. These things have fairly tight tolerances. And the last place you want any slop or opportunities for slipping is where and how the neck joins the body. So measure the neck pocket (or a Peavey neck for a T-40) and you'll know precisely what will work and what won't with no guesswork or outside opinions required.

As far as being a cheapskate goes I doubt anybody will be laughing. Probably more like scratching their heads and wondering if it's worth time chiming in on this thread. Because while all of us here wouldn't mind paying less to get the things we want, there's a limit to how low you can go before it starts getting counterproductive when it comes to basses. So to be perfectly blunt, $150 is a pretty reasonable price for a name brand replacement neck. And $200 all in to get a working and playable T-40 is an definite bargain. On your self-imposed uber-Spartan budget, your best bet might be to just flip the T-40 body and use the proceeds to get something you like that's ready to play rather than go through a whole arts & crafts project. If you want to restore it to a working T-40 I'd definitely go with the real deal neck you found for $150. If you ever decide you don't like it down the road, or something comes up and you need to unload it, you can always sell it as a T-40 provided you don't turn it into a Franken-bass. Prices for a T-40 have been going up. So even if you use a replacement Peavey neck you should still be able to get a least $400 for it. Going prices for all original T-40s in decent condition are around $600 and change. However, if you mod that body to work with a non-Peavey T-40 neck, then it's future resale value will be nil except as a part out.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go - and welcome to TalkBass. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Cnivek61, MegaFuzzBass and btmpancake like this.
  4. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    sell the body and put the proceeds toward a used squier VM.

Jazz Ad likes this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Contrary to the popular belief, proper restauration doesn't save money.

40Hz likes this.
  6. MegaFuzzBass

MegaFuzzBass

Feb 28, 2018
    So, a bunch of you are suggesting abandoning the project and buying a Squier/Epiphone/etc... but where's the fun in that? lol. My goal isn't to save money... it's to make the most of what I have to work with, and end up with a fun bass. Looks like I'll end up trading a boutique muff I've got laying around for the Thunderbird. I can make the neck work on the beat up T40 body without modifying the body in any way (if my measurements are right, the neck pocket is slightly bigger than the Epi neck will be, so at the very worst I'll have to carve a few shims to put in there and get in nice and tight).

I was mostly asking for advice on mounting the neck, or having different neck options. I wasn't really seeking advice on what to do with money... I guess I over-emphasized the cheapskate factor.

Thanks 40hz for being the most helpful. I agree, $200 all in would be a bargain for a T-40, except that once I had ALL the parts (pickups, bridge, etc) it would add up to around $400, not so much of a bargain, especially considering the somewhat poor condition of the body/pickguard already. I probably wouldn't be able to break even if I were to flip it at that point. I'm also wary of the fact that T-40 necks seem to have a reputation for warping/truss rod issues. I wouldn't dream of modifying the body, except potentially adding some mounting holes for pickups/a bridge, which would be easily covered up with OEM parts if I were to find them.

So why go through the trouble of chopping up the Thunderbird? Upper fret access is why.

I'll post pics I guess once the deed is done, and you can all look on in horror and laugh at my superior budget bass... frankenbass... whatever :D

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021