1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-40 Truss Rod Wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheFantod, Apr 18, 2010.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Okay, I know Peavey used to offer one for $18.95 + shipping, and homie here doesn't want to pay that.

I see that Stewmac carries two different 5/16" wrenches. Does either one of them work? The "pocket sized" one is out of stock currently. Would the screwdriver type work?

Here's links to the two wrenches:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_r...s_Rod_Wrenches.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=146

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_r...s_Rod_Wrenches.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=146

Other opinions welcomed as well.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The T-40 and other Peavey Basses through most of the '80s have very very little clearance between the outer perimeter of the nut and the cavity. You need a VERY thin-walled socket tool to make the adjustment. The part Peavey supplied was a simple stamped aluminum tube bent into an "L" shape and with a hex head formed in it. The hex part would round out very easily. Why?

So that you HAD to adjust the neck correctly. The owners' manual clearly indicated that you should straighten the neck by pre-stressing it, then use the tool to snug up the nut only. Never try to use the nut to MOVE the neck.

Anyway, it's been about 20 years since I worked on an old-style Peavy truss rod, but the straight-handled one (the second Stew-Mac link in the original post) looks like it might be thin enough to fit in there. Easy access too, and easier to use than the right-angle ones.

John

3. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.