1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey T-40......value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdude51, Aug 27, 2012.

1. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    What is a Peavey T-40 Sunburst/maple neck with OHSC in G to VG condition worth?

One is up for sale on local Craig's List for $300.

Thanks for your advice and help.

PS.............the seller refers to the T-40 as "a poor man's Ric"............is this true?

2. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    300 is a good price. Anything over $400 is too much (including shipping). They usually go for around $350 on the bay which leaves the buyer room for shipping so the whole price doesn't go above $400. I've watched a lot of t-40's on the bay and this seems to be the trend.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    $300 is an excellent deal, particular including the OHC. But since it's local, go play and look at it and make sure it's what it's supposed to be. :cool:

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

$300 is a steal for any T-40 that isn't natural/maple or black/maple. I've seen 'burst go for a lot more. And for the quality, $400 really isn't 'too much'.

The T-40 can do a convincing Ric tone. Just hit YouTube for some examples.

Just beware, they're often really heavy (painted ones more so because they have oak bodies instead of ash).

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

$300 is a good price. If it has the original case, it's a very good price.

6. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Believe me, oak was never used. It's too hard to machine, the grain is typically hard to fill and is truly heavier than the southern ash used for the T-40s. Some of the painted bodies are heavier than others because the natural ash bodies that were rejected for cosmetic reasons (mainly grain mismatch) were saved for several years. When the dealers really started asking hard enough for colors, Peavey pulled them out of storage and painted them solid colors. Black, white and red were first colors with the ever popular frost blue last. Later painted bodies were mainly poplar or alder, AFAIK. Earlier serial # painted units should average being heavier than late serial #s.

mech

7. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    $300 is a good price for a sunburst. I have a white T40 and it's probably one of my favorite basses of all time.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Average price for one that actually sells and not just for the usual delusional CraigsList seller posturing. :rollno:

And also define "G to VG condition."

No. That's under the above rubric, "the usual delusional CraigsList seller posturing."

9. sunburst and maple is a fairly rare combo, and $300 is fair even for a "common as dirt" natural/maple...but because it's craigslist, wave $250 cash under his nose and see what happens

regarding the poor man's ric thing, judge for yourself:

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Hmm, seems like a common internet misnomer that they used a different wood entirely on solid colors.

11. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    They're all northern ash. There's no poplar or oak or alder bodied T40s floating around.

12. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    If you're looking at a burst T-40 that's in any kinda decent shape for $300 is a steal. Mine is a SiennaBurst with rosewood, and if I remember right, I paid $450 with OHSC. I might be on the high side, but it was flawless and I had some emotional components to the purchase.

If there were any T-40s that fetch a few more bucks, it's the bursts.

13. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I've always avoided the T-40 due to the weight. However, after seeing the video that Boocake linked and how versatile it can be I want one!

14. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    There may have been later painted bodies made from ash but it would have cost more than the poplar or alder and been harder to fill the grain.

Swamp ash is the commonly used name for southern ash. The T60 natural bodies used northern ash which was more dense so some of them will weigh as much as a T-40 body of southern ash. Same thing about natural vs color bodies applies to the T60.

mech

15. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I paid $400 on eBay for mine, plus shipping. I still consider it a good deal, since it's a pre-production "six-digiter" and has the case. Lovely bass.

And yeah, there was never any oak used for bodies. They were Northern ash, and some of the later painted ones were poplar, so may be a bit lighter.

16. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    If you can find a trashed T-40 with good electronics, put the PUs and controls in something else. I had a T-40 given to me that had the headstock snapped off and cracks in the body from falling off a 6' stage onto concrete. I later found a rough TL-5 first gen with no PUs and all the hardware stripped off for cheap and made this....
    RedTL_5Panorama.

17. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That looks great. How does it sound??

18. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    It's sooo flexible it can sound like almost anything due to the pre including Gibson mudbucker. Has a bunch of obnoxious tones, too, but those are good to get a wanking guitar players attention when necessary. Turn the lows off, mids and highs all the way up and it'll run all the rats out of a building. It has the Dyna pre that was still in the TL-5, thank God. Active passive switch and the other switch switches the neck PU to SC. I like to use the bridge PU in HB and neck SC with the blend a little on the neck side. Nice and punchy with good growl and mids. Never really cared for the bridge PU in SC. Back then, that 5th P knob was tough to find. Late 90s and no internet.

Had to make the aluminum top nut and TR cover, those were gone, too. Put a D-tuner on the E string.

mech

19. pbagley

pbagley

Jun 2, 2008
    Ham Lake, MN
    That TL-5/T-40 hybrid - all I can say is WOW! Great work. And a second on the How does it sound question. Oops, you already answered. Thanks!

Back to T-40's - I have my natural / maple on CL locally now at $400, no takers. It is near mint, OHSC, '79, only a couple of very small marks. I was hoping for that guy waving $350 under my nose, but not yet.