Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PEAVEY T-40 VS. PEAVEY GRIND NTB 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Jan 26, 2005.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi all,

i have to make a choice, i can either get the old peavey t-40 at $350 or a peavey grind ntb 5 strings at $500 (prices are because of second hand and spanish dealers... ).

i allready have a mexican fender jazz bass 4 strings so the peavey grind with its 35" scale neck and fifth string is yummy, but its not a usa made vintage bass as the t-40 so... its pretty much like an old school VS. new school

please please please help me choose the right one

thanks

2. well, from my experiances with both basses, i can only ask one thing...what kind of music do you play? i find that the grind gives a more hi-fi type sound, which seems more suited for slap and tap music, while the t-40 has that p-bass type sound, not really for solos, but keeps the low end, suitable for stuff like rock and blues...music you really need a deep low end for imo.

of the two, i'd get the peavey, because i like the neck on those grinds, and they sound killer to me.

3. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    well, the thing is that my perfect setting will be having both, added to my jazz bass i will set the grind for slapping and stuff, the t-40 for serious grooving (santanas´abraxas style...) and the jazz bass with some nice emc for fast fingering jacoish style.

but guess what... i cant afford both so i wanted to know if the t-40 sound is as worth it as thay say (you know.. mada in the usa, metallic nut and blah blah) compared to the , vitnam made i think, grind bass. because im getting in recording and i want the best possible sound, so since i would be changing the grind stock pickups for some cool active ones... how do you see it?

in the other hand i wonder if i would ever come accross a t -40 in good shape again or i would regret it for life...

AWWW!!! i´m going crazy, and its like a 48 hours decission...
    i might look like a schizofrenic but i need to know im making the best possible selecction...

anyway, thanks a lot...

4. well, look at it this way...grinds are still being made, and you can get one anytime...i don't see a lot of t40s around...

5. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    The T-40 is a great bass for the money, with many tone options--two pickups, tones, and volumes.
    I have to say, though, $350 is high for the T-40. They usually sell on ebay for $200-$250 in excellent condition with case.
    I bought one last year from Guitar Center for $200, in beautiful condition.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I concur.

7. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm so glad I kept my T-40...

It was my first bass... got it new when I was in 8th grade...

I really need to get it out of the case and set it up again...

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would get the T-40. Great bass with a ton of sounds built in. Quite possibly the biggest variety of tones in any passive bass ever made. The only downside is that they are very heavy. Mine weighs about 40 lbs.:D

And $350 is way too much. They go for $250 on Ebay all the time, except for mint condition examples. I got mine last year from a Music Go Round in Wisconsin for $169 + shipping.

9. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    the extra hundred is for shiping the 4 tons bass to spain (i hate the stupid ocean). and its in mint condicions it even has the original instructions and case and all.

i am really buying it blindsighted, because i´ve never played one, but i keep hearing how good it is and how weel it sounds... by the way, since changing the t-40s pickups its a no-no i wonder... does it hum or buzz or make too many funny noises? would i fix it with a shielding?

i think i am gonna get my ass to the store today and try againd the grind... man i play hard and the extra inch in neck scale would have given me extra string tension...

maybe im thinking about it too much... well... any other opinion will be wellcome but so far everybody seems to go for the t-40...

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    You're not looking very hard then...they're all over eBay all the time in the under $300 price range. Great work horses but generally pretty heavy.

The Grinds on the other hand are much more sleek, fast necks, modern electronics...different animal really.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  13. its true...i don't actually look for them, but i don't look for grinds either, and i find a lot more of them!
    i was just remarking that there are more grinds around than t40s around here

14. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    The T-40's are some of the most plentiful basses around, but maybe not so much outside the US. To answer about noises, the pickups are high quality, and sound fantastic, with very little noise. You'll get virtually any tones from the bass you'd care to use.

The bass is about the only bass that fits the description "built like a tank." It is true---they are heavy and will last a lifetime. The hardware is incredible---the bridge and pickups are massive and well constructed. The tuners are high quality and hold tune. The neck is not the fastest neck---it is very simiiar in size and thickness to a P bass, and plays very much the same. For my money, the small investment of $200-$300 gets you a bass that is as well built and has harware that rivals any $1000 bass today. Plus, Peavey's customer service is about the best in the business, and they'll still help with a twenty year old T-40. You can't go wrong.

Andrew

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Remember when T40s were new... They were $399. It was my first "real" bass. The T40 is super heavy and OK sounding. I think you could find one around $200 bucks and the grind would make a better bass anyway.

16. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    "and the grind would make a better bass anyway."

what? so your saying the t-40 is a jewel but telling me to get the grind??

i dont get it.... sorry.

17. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    (i mean... t-40 is 360 dollars and thats it... remember... im far away and i have to get a worldwide seller first and then pay the shipping costs...)

18. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Of the two the better everyday "player" bass is probably the grind. The T40 is cool but, If I had to pick a bass to play everyday on gigs, Comfort and sound would be my choice. That being a criteria I would choose the grind.

I think the T40 is likeable but it heavy and you might want something different with more sonic options. And since you comparing a 4 string to a 5 string, The grind gives you more flexibility (unless you don't need the 5th string).

If you want the T40 as a collector piece that's another thing. I have a few basses that I love to play, but don't take to gigs because of the comfort factor.

BTW... I didn't realize you were not in america

19. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i had the idea that the t-40 was like a "real-pro-bass" and that i would be able to get a nice recording sound with it. (besides im pretty strong, so the weight is not a worry) while with the grind bass i suposed it was more like an amateur bass or something, to start playing 5 strings and that i would need to get some new active pickups to get a decent sound and i didnt know if even then... would it give me a "pro-sound"?

in the other hand, having a jazz bass (mexican but a nice/lucky one with emgs) maybe getting the t-40 was kind of stupid because i wouldnt be able to make anything different...

i am overthinking it... but i cant stop it. i was hoping that someone in here was going to say "get that one because this and that", i would see it cristal clear and therefore someone would have taken the decission in my place, but that doesnt seem to be happening, but hey! i still got like 24 hours to keep doubting....

20. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    sometimes i even think that is absurd to get a 5 strings and pretend to be primus-ish when good old jaco beat the hell of a bass with his old 4, you know "you learn the rules first and then you start to brake them", but in ht other hand... blah blah blah ... i could go on for hours.