1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-40 vs T-45

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninerfan, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I am looking to pick up a bass to have fun with and maybe Darkstar. I am wondering what the similarities and differences are between the T-40 and T-45. I am assuming that the 45 is as heavy or heavier than the T40 (less routing). What are the tonal characteristics? Is the 45 a lot less versitile? Would a 45 be a good (or great) candidate for a darkstar? Are the comperable in price? What is a good price?
    Thanks in advance to all you good people on TB!

2. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    With as much love as the T-40 gets and a possible Darkstar project to boot, I thought I'd get a couple responses.
    Any info here would help me out.
    Thanks.

3. My DS'd T-45 is one of my 3 favorite basses. I've owned several T-40s. While they are more versatile, I like the tone from the DS's T-45 much better. A Darkstared T-40 would be cool but I'm happy with my T-45. The DS pup is very sensitive to where you play on the strings and how hard you dig in. Need growl, play a little harder. Play near the neck, it's warm and woofy, play closer to the bridge and it gets that mean clangly TOOL tone all without touching a knob :D Right over the pup, it sounds like a P bass on steroids!!

T-45's sell for about the same price as T-40's but they don't come up as often. The downside is...........YES, normally they are even heavier than the T-40. I must have a light one at 11.17 lbs on my very accurate fish scale :D I don't play gigs and usually sit down when I play so for me it's a non issue. The tone is well worth it :D

4. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Did it require any additional routing to get the darkstar in there or did it drop right in?
    Ths bass looks great BTW!

5. I didn't do the work on this one. Maybe the original owner will chime in. He did a nice job of filling the stock jack hole and remounting the jack where the 3rd knob was.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I've read that the DS drop right into the peavey pup hole.

7. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    When you darkstar a t40 do you lose the whole singlecoil/humbucker thing with the tone knobs?

8. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    Hey FL, glad you're still loving the DS'd T-45. I bought another sunburst 45 but with a maple board with the intention of doing another DS conversion because I'm missing the tone so much, but I'm finding that my back can't handle it anymore so I'm going to be selling it.

Anyway, a friend did the DS installation for me. He said no routing had to be done but the screw holes had to be re-drilled further out so a pickup ring was installed to accomodate. As for filling the original jack hole, I used a maple dowel, filled the rest in with wood filler, sanded and used black Rustoleum oil-based paint...that simple.

9. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    T-forty, yes you lose that function.

10. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've never played a DS'd t-45, but I have played Lakland with a darkstar in the same place. I like both flavors, but I prefer the dual pickup arrangement. There is an insane amount of low end that can only be gotten with a pickup in the far neck position, and having a pickup in the bridge position gives you bite when you need it. I had a Darkstarred t-40 and I liked it so much I invested some more into it and it morphed into this.

All that said, there is a tone that comes from a mid position pickup that is unique and beautiful. That's why people (like me) still love P-basses. I would love to have a DS's T-45, or Precision style bass.

I would ask yourself whether your prefered tone is more of a p-bass or more of a t-40, and let that guide your choice of which bass to purchase

For info on price, etc an ebay search of completed listings is your best bet. Alot of other info on T-40's is available on the T-40 club thread or in the link in my sig.

11. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    DSing a T-40 and 45 has separate advantages. I love the simplicity, and especially the tone of the 45. I find FL Knifemaker's decription pretty accurate.

Good to see you Eilif!!

12. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    Another thing interesting is that 500k ohm pots are recommended for the Darkstar pickups. That's what is in FL Knifemaker's bass.

13. Thats one cool bass you built! I'm a P bass nut so the single DS on the T-45 works well for "my tone". I only used about 2 different settings on my T-40 so the extra range and versatility didn't do much for me.

Scott,

Yes! Still enjoying the T-45 VERY much :bassist:

14. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Does that mean that once you go DS, you can't go back? OR will the ring from the original pup cover the new holes?

Why did you eliminate 1 of the knobs and change the jack placement?

15. With the DS there's only one coil, no mixin :)

16. ZOINKS! i LOVE the look of that bass... you really did well! I bet it sounds like a monster!

17. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    So I take it, it was a personal preference to move the jack instead of just leaving it as a dummy knob.

What's a fair price for a T-45? I think I'm more interested in the 45 than the 40. $200 for 1 pup vs $400 for 2. I think that 1 DS in the sweet spot would be killer!

Is it also true that once you DS a 45 you can't go back? (new holes drilled). I don't think I would return it to stock, but it would be nice to know before hand if I'm making a irreversilbe mod.

18. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    my t-45 was way lighter than my t-40, this might be due to the fact that it was a solid color (black) and I've read that peavey might've used different woods on the painted t-45s. Don't know if this is true though. I got mine on ebay about a year ago for $170 shipped! good luck!

19. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    ninerfan,

Yes it was personal preference to eliminate the other knob. You could certainly get a wiring harness and keep the output jack where it usually is and keep a dummy knob, no biggie there.

Also, you're probably looking at a similar price between a T-40 and 45, especially in excellent condition. The 45 isn't necessarily rare but they don't pop up nearly as often for sale.

You can always go back to the original pickup but your DS screw holes will show.

20. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    Of course if you DS a T-40 you'll need a whole new pickguard anyway so going back to stock wouldn't be a problem.