Peavey T-40 Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kuys, Apr 18, 2013.

1. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    I've been scratching my head at this T-40 on my bench for a few days now. Wiring has been chased down and looks to be correct based on my diagram but the damn thing gets nothing in the middle position. It acts like a kill switch and I get no sound. I can't really tell if the tone/coil tap knob BS is working because I don't notice anything when I roll it up and down while tapping on the pickup. I'm not putting this things back together again till I get this sorted. So many damn pick-guard screws....

Any common fixes to this problem. I've rewired and replaced the phase switch....no dice.

2. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Got an ohmmeter?

Hook it to the tone pot terminals and watch the readout when you turn the tone knob. Series position should read twice the ohms the single position reads. This pot determines which wire (red or black) is connected to ground. Red for single coil, black for series.

Use the ohmmeter to determine if the outputs of the pickups are reaching each terminal of the pickup switch. Output of the middle position of the pickup switch should be a combo of both signals.

Toasters run bout 3k ohms for each coil. Blades run about 5k ohms for each coil.

Here's how mine is wired:

Attached Files:

3. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Check to see if the selector switch has not been replaced with one that is a center OFF, meaning no internal connections are made in the center position.

The correct switch logic should look like this. Contacts will be made opposite the handle position.

mech

Attached Files: