Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Feb 2, 2004.

1. ....wondered what this bass is like to play...lo0oks to have a wider neck than a jazz and thinner than a p-bass

also... the electroncs are meant to be great....but what kinda tones can uget out of it......i don't like peaveys cheap bass's the furys and the like...horrbile....but i did their cirrus and millenium series....

here's a pic of T-40...

how much would you expect to pay for one?.. and is it a worth while investment or just one of those passing fancy's

2. Midway between a P or J in width and thickness. Very playable.

Heavy. Get ready for that.

Turn the tone knob below 7 for the single/humbucker switchover. Plus the 2 volume knobs to blend with. The P/U selector and the phase switch as well. Lots of good happening there. I currently have mine strung with 110-55 EB power slinkys.

Pay like $125-$150 for that black one. The natural finish ones are better looking IMHO. I wouldn't call it an investment, but I know mine's a great player.

Amazing what a passive bass can do.
  3. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    I had a T40 and T20 (single pickup, simpler, same body style), and I paid $150 for each of them, with case. Make sure you get the brown plastic molded case, it's very nice.

My T40 was about 10 1/2" pounds (heavy). They're generally either made of hard ash or hackberry, which looks like yellowish ash but has a tight "feathery" grain pattern. As pointed out above, the pickups are humbuckers with the tone controls turned all the way down. As you turn them up to 10, you're gradually shorting out one of the coils to make them single-coils. I re-wired mine so that I could switch from single to humbucker without the tone roll-off, and the full-on sound was amazing! Sort of a grindy passive Stingray tone.

Brian Ritchie used one for some of the electric tracks on the first Violent Femmes record, like "Gone Daddy Gone". The T40 and it's cousin the T60 guitar were the first instruments to be produced with CNC machinery, now widely used in the industry.

They're love-it-or-hate-it basses (I love em!), but most people who hate them complain about the weight. They're generally regarded and workhorses and a good value.
  4. cheers so0o far for the replys...the guy is wanting around £250 for it...($400) which is way higher than what you are saying...bassically want sometihing that will give me a more rock edge lo0ok i guess for my band...i have a nice GB Spitfire and Marcus Miller but i playing in a emo/hardcore/alt indie band and want something more to that image but without blowing hundred and hundred on a stingray (tho ihate them anyway) and the like....

also considered a Gibo Grabber....
  5. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    For that kind of money I would get an ATK. I payed $100 for a T40 back in about 1983 or '84. It has usable sounds but I don't think anyone has REALLY REALLY prepared you for the weight of one of these things. I recall mine as weighing about 3,000 pounds. So it probably was about 13 or 13 and a half pounds. ( 6-6.25 kg)

My Schecter Jazz was light to me, but everyone else said it was horrifically heavy at 12 and a quarter pounds. It was light because I had had the Peavey.
  6. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm sorry, but the Peavey T40 is about THE worst bass i've ever played. My roomate has one, and it's absolutely terrible. Even with new strings it has NO usable tones and hardly any output. The neck feels like crap and like most everyone has said, it's heavier than a mutha.

Sorry for being so brutally honest. ;)

7. Mine has more output than my Carvin BB70F w/ a full bart setup (9j1's, 5.4A/P preamp). It's just about as loud as my Ibanez SRX500, and that thing has some serious output.

Your roommate's T40/setup must not really work together very well. I played mine through my SVP-Pro/PLX1602/810E setup, and it was the bee's knees.

But that is a super heavy bass. Mine is 13.2 pounds. I have a lot of decent basses, and it hangs with everything I've got. Unique vibe, very capable. I love mine.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've heard they are very ballsy basses, and I really wanna try one.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very decent bass. The second bass that I ever owned was a T-40, and I should have never gotten rid of it. Hands down, the most versatile passive bass ever made. Lots of good tones lurking in the electronics, plus a few nasty and useless ones.

The only thing that I didn't like about my T-40 was that it weighed 150 lbs.

I wouldn't pay £250 for one, although I have noticed on Ebay that they are starting to go up in value. Mostly due to all of the positive talk they get on HCBF, I reckon. Screws me up, because I want one, but don't want to pay over $200 for it.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A T-40 was my second bass, too. I liked it better than the '65 P-Bass that it replaced. It is versatile. I'm surprised yours weighed only 150 lbs. Mine came in at a whopping 173 lbs.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You've got to be exaggerating by at least a couple of pounds.
  12. Solidly built basses, plethora of tones, though the coil tapping scheme is laid out in a highly unusual fashion; the second coil blends in as you increase the treble bleed (turn the tone down), which can be remedied with basic electronics knowledge and a free half hour if it annoys you signifigantly. A lot of people say they're super heavy instruments, and though they're heavier than your run of the mill fender clone, they aren't too bad. Maybe 14 or 15 pounds tops.

They are string through body basses (I don't at least recall seeing any with top loading bridges, someone correct me if my ignorance is glaring too brightly), so make sure your preffered make of string is manufactured in string through body or 35 inch plus scale length sets.

I see a few of the natural finish ash ones in fair condition going for around 200 to 250 bucks with no case, and fair conditon black ones all the time going for about 125 to 175 with no case. Bought a beat to snot black one for 85 bucks at a pawn shop a little ways back as a project bass. They are quite common, so if you see one and it is too expensive or you can't justify the cost, wait a few months.
  13. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had mine for 20 years, from being brand new to being given away last summer.

I know a lot of people have great experiences with them, but I found nothing but bad. I thought it weighed a ton (even more than my Jerzy Drozd and Spector), had a weak tone (though somewhat versatile), a wacky neck shape that was shallow but very wide, and a horribly unstable neck.

That's my experience...obviously not the same as everybody else's...