1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davelaw650, Feb 17, 2008.

1. davelaw650

davelaw650

Mar 17, 2007
    San Diego
    I keep getting haunted by this bass, or rather I keep doing searches for it on eBay. I have a perfectly good G&L Tribute L-2000 but for some reason I'm heavily GASin for a a T-40. I'll admit, I haven't played one yet and it's mostly cause they look awesome and are pretty cheap on eBay. Would I be wasting my money and time if I got one only to find that my current bass does all that and more? I can get a good variety of sounds out of my L-2000 and even if they're only a couple hundred bucks I don't really have that to just toss around on something that'll just sit in my closet.

2. Think that, u don't loose a thing except shipping fee :) Because u can sell for the same price (of course if u didn't buy it for very much :D)
    Try it! Something tells me u will fall in love, they are so versatile and warm sounding. :)
    Good luck!

3. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    T40s are all that!! You can't beat them for sound and durability. And they also make good self defense weapons.... you think I'm joking? :p

4. I just bought one yesterday on Ebay and never even played one. I hope its sounds nothing like my other basses...lol

5. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    You don't have any torn, slipped or surgically removed discs in your back, right? Hey, you'll love it then!! :)

Yet another bass I'd love to have around but probably never will.

6. I'm ordering one tomorrow hopefully. Woo hoo!

7. davelaw650

davelaw650

Mar 17, 2007
    San Diego
    That's kind of what I'm hoping for as well. I'd like to add to my sound and not just get something that'll sit there. Have any of you guys got any experience as far as slapping with these? I don't slap that much but when I do I typically slap at the base of the neck. Will the pickup get in the way of popping?

8. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I don't really do any slapping so I couldn't begin to say but thinking back on how my T40 (twas a 79) sounded, I think it would take to slapping awesome. And yea, all those knobs and switches to dial in what you want takes a bit to get it figured. But to me the sound range on it was unbelievable.

I am by no means a string expert but I always ran heavy gauge nickel round wounds on mine and I thought it was the best string to go with its sound. But as others and I have hinted, be prepared for some poundage >_< But they are worth the weight I think. Wish I had thought so back then or Id have never parted with mine. Ahh well...hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

9. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I just got one last week as my first bass. When I saw some pictures while searching for a bass to get a few weeks back, I fell in love with it and decided to get one. I really don't think it's heavy, then again, I've never held another bass before so I can't compare. Mine's a 1982. I like playing it with the phase switch turned on since it sounds a bit quieter and doesn't make the whole house shake (and the amp volume isn't even at halfway). All the reviews I read on T-40s were all good. I think it's a great instrument.:bassist:

10. I've had quite a few different strings on mine and prefer the EB Hybrid Slinkies. I still say that the T-40 is a good slapper, you just need to alter your's right hand position a little. Mine has great slap tone.

We need a pic in this thread. Vintage Pearloid by WD Music :bassist:

[​IMG]

For those that forgot what the control layout wuz................

[​IMG]

11. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    T-40s really seem to be taking off recently---I guess all the good press has reached critical density, and what was a cult favorite a year ago is now becoming a true vintage classic. Of course, it deserves it.

I wonder if there is the remotest chance of Peavey doing a reissue---would they still have the necessary machinery to make the pickups, bridge molds, etc.? If they made them a little lighter they'd probably sell a bunch.

12. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    T-40's... great sounding, wonderful playability. At 14 lbs, I got tennis elbow just lifting out of it's case :eek:

13. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
  14. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    When I was trying to recall the exact model Peavey I had years ago, I ended up on the phone with some guy at Peavey who has been working there forever (or close to it LOL). After my description of the pickups/ the weight and the controls he said that was definitely a T40.... without skipping a beat I asked if there was any chance of doing a reissue of them and he said:

No :bawl:

But that was last year. Perhaps if enough people called/emailed/whatever and they can see there is a market for them it might give them the incentive to reconsider..... who knows. :ninja:

15. Part of the popularity of the T-40 is the price. If Peavey makes a RI, they won't be $300!

I need to find a real beater T-40 or a T-40 body. I have a weight reduction idea that I think will work great. I just don't feel like messing with my '79.

16. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    T-40's are GREAT basses. As far as a reissue, never happen. And if it ever did, for the quality and fit/finish on the originals to be made today would cost around the price of a new USA Jazz. Scoop 'em up while they're still reasonable. The T-40 is finally getting it's due and prices are reflecting that.

17. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    FL, LOVE THAT PICKGUARD!! Gorgeous. Love the pinup girl too. How'd you do that?? AND.....what's the deal with the "original" pickguard covering that explains what the knobs do? Inquiring minds need to know.

18. Thanks! The pickguard is from WD Music. I usually make my own but for about $10 more than the cost of the material, I let them make this one :)

The pinup girl is a waterslide decal I found on eBay. The seller is Hectic-Hillbilly. Do a search for waterslide, pinup girls. He's in the UK but shipping only takes a few days. Buy a few to practice with :)

The pickguard plastic came with with my T-40. It was left on the pickguard for years and actually ATE into the original black pickguard. That's why I replaced the original with the pearloid one.

[​IMG]

19. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Ohyea, I have thought about that too. If they RI'd them I'd be willing to bet they'd be at least a grand.

You mean like this one: :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-Peavey-T-4...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller has most of the rest of the parts in separate auctions going on right now as well.