Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I'm a huge fan of Big Black, and I recently found out that thier bassist used a Peavey T-40. I have a MIM Fender Jazz, and I like it but I think the t-40 looks cool =( And if it sounds anything like Big Black's bass, it has that gritty scary sound that I want =\ I was wondering if I should try to sell/trade my fender for it? What are your opinions on the T-40?

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    The Peavey T-40 was NOT a bass that everyone in here likes. Basically because of the weight.. But I hear it was a pretty good. If you think you can stand the weight, go for it. But if you have a MIM Fender you like that, just stick with the MIM. IMHO, the Peavey T-40 is pretty ugly too!

3. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    I had one. It was good, not great. The weight was too much for me aswell

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    beefhaus: your from NJ!! What part? :D

DM

5. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    Jersey Representin'

Middlesex County

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    saweeet.. Bergen County here...

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have one. I hate it, and always did. I take it out of its case about once a year, just to prove that I still hate it as much as I always did.

It's for sale, BTW: $1,400.:DLOL

8. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Why does everyone hate it? Sure it's heavy, but oh well =( I don't really like the MIM Fender, on all the amps I've played on the pups sound groaty =(

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Albani: change your PUPs.. to some SDs or Bartolini Passives

It will change the world trust me

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The T-40 is a good bass, with a lot of different tones available. The only thing that I didn't like about mine was the weight. One of these days, I will buy another.

11. smelt

smelt

Jan 23, 2003
    Hey man,

My friend and I have used around 20 different basses in a studio setup, from American Spectors to Ricks, vintage Jazz Basses, Washburns, and many foreign copy basses. We really dig the T-40.

My friend got ahold of one at a pawn shop real cheap. Biggest drawback is the weight......HEAVY! You notice the extreme weight after a couple hours of playing and recording.

The upshot is the thousand tones you can achieve. There's knobs and switches all over that thing.... I don't believe we fully explored it, but we got some interesting tonal combinations when we used it with distortion. Very thick sound. We never do slap-bass, so I have no comment in that area, but for staccato bass it was great.

As far as looks, I've seen many rock/country crossover bands of the 1970s-early 1980's using them. I don't think they're that bad at all in looks......it just looks very dated. Looks are a matter of opinion.

Very solid bass that you can't break, great tones if you explore the many settings, straight neck that doesn't bend, modest price at any pawn shop. I think it's worth having one.

12. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    The correct question is "what exit"?

:D

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    off what Highway?

I95 (Turnpike) is exit 18 for me

:)

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Like others have said, nice bass but way too heavy for me. I dumped mine for a BC Rich.

Dan

15. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I used to own one of these in about 1980 or so. Decent tones, but yes it is as heavy as a boat ancor. I gladly sold mine about a year later for a Fender P-bass.

BTW, didn't Ross Vallory of Jouney play one of these? I though his bass line and tone on "Don't Stop Believing" was great.

Dan