1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I'm a huge fan of Big Black, and I recently found out that thier bassist used a Peavey T-40. I have a MIM Fender Jazz, and I like it but I think the t-40 looks cool =( And if it sounds anything like Big Black's bass, it has that gritty scary sound that I want =\ I was wondering if I should try to sell/trade my fender for it? What are your opinions on the T-40?

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    The Peavey T-40 was NOT a bass that everyone in here likes. Basically because of the weight.. But I hear it was a pretty good. If you think you can stand the weight, go for it. But if you have a MIM Fender you like that, just stick with the MIM. IMHO, the Peavey T-40 is pretty ugly too!

3. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    I had one. It was good, not great. The weight was too much for me aswell

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    beefhaus: your from NJ!! What part? :D

DM

5. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    Jersey Representin'

Middlesex County

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    saweeet.. Bergen County here...

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have one. I hate it, and always did. I take it out of its case about once a year, just to prove that I still hate it as much as I always did.

It's for sale, BTW: $1,400.:DLOL

8. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Why does everyone hate it? Sure it's heavy, but oh well =( I don't really like the MIM Fender, on all the amps I've played on the pups sound groaty =(

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Albani: change your PUPs.. to some SDs or Bartolini Passives

It will change the world trust me

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The T-40 is a good bass, with a lot of different tones available. The only thing that I didn't like about mine was the weight. One of these days, I will buy another.

11. smelt

smelt

Jan 23, 2003
    Hey man,

My friend and I have used around 20 different basses in a studio setup, from American Spectors to Ricks, vintage Jazz Basses, Washburns, and many foreign copy basses. We really dig the T-40.

My friend got ahold of one at a pawn shop real cheap. Biggest drawback is the weight......HEAVY! You notice the extreme weight after a couple hours of playing and recording.

The upshot is the thousand tones you can achieve. There's knobs and switches all over that thing.... I don't believe we fully explored it, but we got some interesting tonal combinations when we used it with distortion. Very thick sound. We never do slap-bass, so I have no comment in that area, but for staccato bass it was great.

As far as looks, I've seen many rock/country crossover bands of the 1970s-early 1980's using them. I don't think they're that bad at all in looks......it just looks very dated. Looks are a matter of opinion.

Very solid bass that you can't break, great tones if you explore the many settings, straight neck that doesn't bend, modest price at any pawn shop. I think it's worth having one.

12. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    The correct question is "what exit"?

:D

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    off what Highway?

I95 (Turnpike) is exit 18 for me

:)

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Like others have said, nice bass but way too heavy for me. I dumped mine for a BC Rich.

Dan

15. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I used to own one of these in about 1980 or so. Decent tones, but yes it is as heavy as a boat ancor. I gladly sold mine about a year later for a Fender P-bass.

BTW, didn't Ross Vallory of Jouney play one of these? I though his bass line and tone on "Don't Stop Believing" was great.

Dan