Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ogar, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Hello folks!
    I need some vintage passive sound for my new old school blues rock band and my Thumb is not very suitable (my bandmates are rather old and constantly persuading me to buy Jazz: your bass sounds good, but...). Anyway, I gotta chance to buy used Peavey T-40. But sunburst one with rosewood fingerboard. Only T-40 I've played so far was natural with maple fingerboard and I loved its sound! My question is: can anyone compare sound of rosewood fingerboard to maple one in case of T-40.
    Also, are sunbursts also made from same wood as the naturals? You know, here in Europe is T-40 very rare animal.
    Thanks a lot

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They'll probably sound very similar.

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The maple fingerboard is usually brighter than the rosewood - for basses in general, not just the T-40 - but the rosewood has a richer tone to it, without sacrificing the highs.

4. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    I've got a T-40 with rosewood.. sorry I'm too ignorant to know what to tell you about it. I love it. If you know how to ask me what you need to know I'll do my best to help...

5. Thanks a lot for your help
    Why am I asking... I've read some threads and rewievs, which basicaly divided T-40's into two groups according their date of production. The
    older one (late 70's/early 80's), natural stain, made from one or few pieces of ash, heavy as hell and with great tone to it. The second (mid 80's), usually black, much lighter, but wood is piece of crap and no sustain. That is what I've read and now I saw sunburst with rosewood fingerboard and do not know if it is the good one or the bad one. The seller only knows, that the bass was made somewhere in 80's. So, can anyone tell, which group the sunburst with rosewood fingerboard belongs to? Of course, pictures would help me, but he posted only very small one of poor quality.
    Again, thank you for any comments.

6. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    Mine would fit into the category of "heavy" and natural wood finish. I checked the little booklet and the copyright date is 1981. I looked all over the guitar and didn't see a date on it.

(Sorry, I'm just plain dumb...)

I'll see what I can do about a picture, too.