1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey T-Max 500 Cooling Fan

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hawkbone, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    hi all, picked up a Peavey T-Max 500 this weekend. Sounds great, especially with the tube pre-gain cranked. Only downside is that the fan sounds like it's about to detonate.

This is the fan, which I assume is stock: fd81dbf7-527a-4947-9aaa-539070197ef6_zps8f2b4419.

The Nidec catalog for this is archived in pdf here: http://www.nidecamerica.com/ta300ac/ta300ac.htm

I ordered one of these to try:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230766777302#ht_1406wt_906

I'll let you all know how it turns out. Might save someone else a search.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Somewhere on the fan it should state it's CFM rating. That NEEDS to be matched or exceeded for safe operation of the amplifier.

3. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    You could also just order the fan from Peavey. We will either still have the Nidec fans in stock, or an approved replacement.

4. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Oh. Everything I read indicated that they were discontinued. How do I go about ordering one?

5. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    The Nidec pdf indicates a 32 CFM rating at 4.9 bel for the original. The replacement I'm trying is rated at 30 CFM and 34 dba, so hopefully that means a lot quieter.

6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I had one of these for years, even got a replacement fan direct from Peavey, just as loud as the old one. Hope you find one that works a little smoother, thing is once you get going you never hear it in a club. Unless your playing in a quiet setting.

7. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Fan is in and running MUCH quieter. There is only room for the fan, so I had to cut a slot for the side mounted connector. The only place to cut was the baffle around the heat sink. Not reversible, but the amp is much quieter and therefore more usable so well worth it.