Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey T-Max Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thomas, Feb 26, 2002.

1. My Carvin head has become an expensive doorstop and as I have a show this Saturday I'm sort of desperate for an amp.

A friend of mine has a Peavey T-Max preamp that he'll sell to me along with a CS800 power amp and a SKB case for $500.

Is it worth it? I can't find anything on the T-max and I'm wondering if its a decent unit or what.

I figure if the T-Max is a halfway decent unit I can at least use it until I get tired of it and buy something better and then at least I'll already have the rack case and power amp. I've decided that whatever I do I am going to go with a preamp/power amp system since I've become addicted to high power.

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Sounds like a pretty good deal. Haven't priced that set-up, but just eye-balling it, the price looks pretty good.

The T-Max pre-amp is pretty righteous. I have the T-Max head and I like it very much.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    thomas,

The T-Max is a head that Peavey no longer makes. Are you sure that you don't mean the Peavey "Max" preamp?

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think it's about $100 too much

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Is there such a thing as a T-Max preamp that was sold by Peavey. I've heard of the T-Max head and I currently own a "Max" preamp. Was there a "preamp only" product called the T-Max?

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    There is no T-max preamp. Only T-max head, or "Max" preamp.

Sounds like a good deal though. If it is the "max" thats a nice preamp, and 800watts is pretty good.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I didn't think there was a T-Max pre but I agree with you BMG. The Max is nice!

8. It is a Max, I don't know how I added the T on there. I thikn I'm going to go ahead and get it since I need something, have played this one before and didn't hate it, and since its a rack system if I totally hate it I'll just sell the preamp and still have a case and a damn fine power amp to start a new system from.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey thomas,

The guy in this thread just got a Max. Ask him what he thinks.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40692

I think that you'll find that it is a very nice preamp. I would keep it as a spare if you find that it's not really the tone that you're after. It's always good to have a back up! ;)

10. I have had the Max Pre-Amp since they first came out a couple of years ago. Flawless operation.

I use mine with a Carver PM-350 (350 watts per side @ 8 ohms).

Sounds like a good deal for now. First thing I would do though is get rid of that boat anchor (CS800). Too damn heavy, and 4 rack spaces :rolleyes:

Look for a good 2 space Carvin or QSC. Same power or better, half the size and weight.

11. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If he's your friend why won't he just let you borrow it for the gig.

12. I'm sure he'd let me borrow it for the weekend but I need a new amp and he needs money 'cause he's buying an Ampeg.
    The CS800 I'm getting is a new one, not the old big ones, its only 2 rack spaces, we've got one just like it already that we use for our PA.