1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey T-Max Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChinesePizza, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ChinesePizza

ChinesePizza

Feb 14, 2007
    I'm lookin into getting one. I've heard that they sound awesome but alot of people have complained about the power transformer goin out and i guess peavey does'nt make the part anymore is this true. Whats the goin rate for these amps thanks.

2. i had one of these amps, i never really liked the sound personally, but then again im not really a knob turner, it has alot of really cool features and it was completely reliable for the 2 years i gigged with it, the guy i sold it to absolutly loves it, i sold my for 250

3. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I have only heard one member here complain about the power transformer. I tried to get more info about the situation to help, but the poster never responded. I am unaware of any repeat problems with the T-Max other than scratchy pots and worn out jacks, which are typical of any amp with any age on it.

As for the availability of repair parts, I wouldn't worry about that. Any repair parts for that amp are most likely in stock.

4. I just picked up on of these of the bay for 150$, hopefully it will work (seller had no way of testing it, besides the light and fans turning on). anything I should know about this head, besides it being cheap and awesome and half tube ? :p

Also, I need a good cheap cab for this head, what makes a good match? A local shop near me has a 4x10 and a 2x15 Fender bass cabs for 200$ each, does that sound liek a good deal, and do they sound any good? Other suggestions would be nice!

5. those cabs do sound decent, youll probably only need 1 as the amp is loud as hell anyways, but 2 would be killer

:bassist:

6. Im not looking to put anything great together, Im just upgrading from the peavey 10 watt practice amp that I kinda blew out...

So whats your preference, 10 or 15 inch? I was thinking since 15s are less precise they could cover up some of the flaws in my playing. :rolleyes:

Any other cheap cabs that would match my soon to be amp?

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The last thing you should ever worry about with a Peavey is reliability!

Alex

8. I was kinda on the edge about buying an untested amp, but **** it, its a peavey they last forever :D

9. i myself would go with 2/15 over a 4x10, but would take 8x10 over 2x15, the only 410 ive ever like was the ampeg 410 hlf, which is fairly expensive but sounded mean, however ive had pretty limited expierience with 410's and most of them i wasnt impressed by, however ive heard alot of cheap 2x15's that i thought sounded pretty damn good, but take this with a grain of salt as like i said i dont have a whole lot of exp with 410's

10. Ill make sure and try them both, I just like having the internet influence all my decisions in life :D

Any other suggestions?

11. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    As for speaker configuration, note that the T-max originally was manufactured as a combo with either a 2x10 or 1x15bw. I had the 1x15 combo and it was a monster. Heavy, but worked well for what I was doing at the time. During the 90's I was working a number of country gigs, never any PA support and the rig always had plenty to cut through and run with the dogs. Also note, the amp will run down to 2 ohms and the standard config in the combo was a 4 ohm speaker section. I had this thing for about 15 years before it finally gave up on me. Had a lot of hours on it and with some tweaking, got it to sound good especially once I added a 4x10 to the 15. Since 2000 I've been working a large rock act and it was on our backline until about 2004 when it blew up. I'm now running GK RBH cabs with the 1001rbII head. Would not have moved on if it didn't blow up. The repair on it was too expensive and the tech said he couldn't trace what happened, so even if fixed, might just go again. I said no thanks and moved on. It was a great relationship while it lasted. For $250-$300.00 I'd say grab it and enjoy. There's great tone and power in there!

Best,
    Hammer

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Hmm, T-Max? 100 or 400? I'd rate the speeds in half to ensure adequate shadow detail; watch out for the highlights blowing out on the T-Max 400. :D