1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-Max...who all uses these?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrHeadfirst, Apr 17, 2010.

1. MrHeadfirst

MrHeadfirst

Apr 17, 2010
    Just wanted a little discussion on the old T-Max head, it is my main head, and i was wondering who else used it and what you thought. Settings, and so forth. anyone use the built in crossover?

2. I use one for my main amp. It's paired with two Nahas-built Bag End S-15 copies. I prefer the tube channel set to maximum grind. Between that, the Nahas cabinets and a G&L L-2000, my sound can be a bit aggressive and mid-focused. As a result, I boost the bass shelving a notch or two and cut the 250 and 625 sliders a hair. Everything else stays flat.

I love the amp. I've considered picking up the Pro 500 (hoping that its tube pre will sound the same), but haven't needed to. The only other head I really think about buying is a KiloBass. I don't need the wattage, but it'd be nice to have.

Mike

3. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I have the tube gain jacked as well. I add a little mids with the Jaguar I just acquired. Other than that I leave most everything flat. I play it through a USA Ampeg 15".

4. I used one for several years (until the flyback transformer blew out on me at a gig). I loved that amp, still do. Wish I could find some place capable of fixing it.

If anyone knows a shop that might have parts, please share!

5. I use one as my backup, it was my primary - but has been in teh shop twice in the last 4-5 years.

I like the slight scoop, but also like the mid present bite it has. Very "clocky" without being "clanky".....of that makes sense.

I also like the ultra deep lows it can produce.

This repair was about $125........I hope it holds up and makes it worth it!

6. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    T-Max and Kilobass? Blast from the past....I had to check the date on this thread.

While I never owned one I played though one many times at a local shop and thought it was quite nice for the price they were asking. I almost bought the thing on two occasions but I really didn't need another amp at the time (don't you hate that?).

Anyone ever try a tube swap on one of these?

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

To my knowledge, Peavey still has parts for those...

- georgestrings

8. MrHeadfirst

MrHeadfirst

Apr 17, 2010
    wow, i thought this thread was dead, lol. im getting ready to start using the built in crossover setup, maybe try a tube swap too...not sure.

9. I'll have to contact them directly and ask, I guess. I've been to two repair shops who've told me that all the transformers are gone, and there's nothing compatible available anywhere. Thanks for the tip!

--Jamie

10. MrHeadfirst

MrHeadfirst

Apr 17, 2010
    seems like mouser or digikey can get most anything ever made...did you check them?

11. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I didn't know you could break a T-Max. I've had mine about 13 years & never had any trouble with it. I changed the preamplifier tube out with a NOS RCA tube and it sounded good, but I couldn't get the distortion out of the USA tube, so I put the cheap Chinese tube back in it, which brought back the distortion.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, check it out - my main gigging amps for a couple of years were a pair of T-Max's... Before I bought mine, I had read about the transformers being obsolete - so I contacted Peavey, and found out that was incorrect... To my knowledge, they still stock most - if not all the parts for the T-Max amps...

FWIW, I really liked my T-Max's - they never gave me any trouble, and were very powerful for their ratings... I ended up replacing them with a pair of G-K 700rb-IIs because I preferred the G-K's tones, and lighter weight - but the T-Max'x were both quality amps with very good DI's... I probably put close to 150 gigs on mine, plus numerous rehearsals...

- georgestrings

13. You, sir, have just made my night. I'll send them a message tomorrow. Thanks!

Now to figure out where that thing is hiding in the stacks of amps and cabs in my basement...

14. CCM -
    Hope you get it running man!

I think they are worth keeping - mine was used when I got it and I don't know what its history was prior. I have used it about 35 times at shows, more for rehearsal and endless times at home.

These were pretty good chunks of equipment - I think

15. Oh yeah, until that transformer cooked off, it was a fantastic amp. Used for shows three or four times per month, plus practices for two years before "the incident."

We had just started our second set, when suddenly my sound level started dropping until there was nothing coming from the speakers at all. Then the wisps of magic smoke appeared. :(

Can't wait to get it fixed!

16. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    You guys are scaring me now. My T-MAX probably has 200 gigs, some outdoor in extreme heat and humidity. It has several gigs on it as a sub amp for the PA. Maybe you guys who have experienced failure have been too easy on your amps.....
    (now mine will die at the next gig....)

17. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I know a LOT of gospel cats who swear by that amp. They always tell me if I find one, BUY IT! Or its big brother the Kilobass.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I gigged and rehearsed plenty with mine, and never had any troubles with either of them, fwiw...

- georgestrings

19. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Had mine about 15 years. Great sounding amp, very reliable overall. Did replace the tube on it about 5 years into service. Enjoy!

Cheers,
    Hammer

20. MrHeadfirst

MrHeadfirst

Apr 17, 2010
    the kilo bass was the higher power same model amp??
    if that is so...then im buying one for sure!