Peavey T40 differences thru the years

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Nov 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I will do a search, but also would like to hear about personal experience in terms of the pickup differences mainly...the toaster vs. blade pickups.

Thanks in advance!

2. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    In the link in my sig you can see a more detailed and specific breakdown of some of the Peavey T-40 differences, but here's the basic breakdown.

When first released, T-40's had
    -Toaster pickups: Warm thick sounding pups. Round and full.
    -Die cast metal nut
    -No body contours

AFAIK, the changes didn't all happen at once, but by sometime between 82 and 84 things had transitioned entirely over to
    -Blade pickups. Brighter pickups with more high end and possibly higher gain.
    -Nylon Nut
    -Moderately contoured body.

I personally prefer the toaster pups, but then again I actually like the sound of a mudbucker so a bit of warmth is a good thing to me. That is not to say that they are muddy pickups, but when I solo the bridge pickup in humbucker mode it completely satisfies my GAS for a mudbucker telebass. I've got a blade pup on my T-45 and it's also a good sounding pup. Just a different flavor. I definitely prefer the metal nut but even that isn't as big a difference as some might think.

3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Is it more likely for the later version to be lighter in weight because of the contours?

Another thing I am curious about is the wood thickness overall....is it the same?

4. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You'll save a bit of weight in the later versions, but the contours aren't too dramatic. If you want to save weight, you'll probably want to go with a painted body version which were made of poplar rather than the heavy ash of the natural and sunburst finished bodies.

Not sure about overall wood thickness between years. I think my '82 T-45 is thinner than my '79 T-40, but the bodies are different in several ways, so it's not really a fair comparison.

5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I am fairly sure my black 85 Foundation is poplar?

Its far heavier than my early SF Fury....which the ash Fury is almost 3 lbs. lighter than the black Foundation...same body thickness save for the contours.

I really screwed up recently, a very early T40 showed up at an old Peavey dealer w/ a warped pickguard, other wise real clean and it was slightly over 10 lbs.....REALLY light for an early T40, no?

I passed on it for $250....another old guy really wanted it for his studio...I wonder now if I will find another early T40 close to 10 lbs?

6. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Wood varies and I don't know anything about foundation wood, so it's entirely possible that the foundation is heavier.

Around 10 pounds is not unheard of, but definitley on the light end. $250 for such an instrument is a great deal, especially since a PG can often be reshaped with heat and pressing.

7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    It seems as if the types of Foundation wood varied....anyone know for sure how many varieties?

8. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    Foundation woods depended on year of manufactiure. I believe they started with Ash, then Maple and Alder. Not sure if Maple before Alder or vice versa.

I have an older T40 with Toaster pups, body not contoured. Body is about 1.5" thick and total weight is 11 pounds. The heavyweight of my collection.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021