1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T40 Scratchy Pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Randy Howard, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Randy Howard

Randy Howard

Apr 2, 2015
    Hey,

I have a Peavey T40 bass in like new condition. I want to start playing it but it has a couple of scratchy pots. Do I need to remove the pickups and pick guard to service these or is there an easier way? I already have contact cleaner and lubricant spray with a straw tube for dispensing. Thanks.

Randy

2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    As a general rule, pots don't get scratchy from anything but lack of use- which leads to corrosion and gunk build up. Before I resort to sprays, lubes, and replacing the pots in a panic, I just use the side of my hand to quickly turn the pot's knob from 0 to whatever, and back again - real fast, a whole bunch of times. If a minute or so of this doesn't make the scratchiness go away? Then it's time for other remedies. But, just turning the knob back and forth like that has always worked for me. It's not only a good exercise in coordination and hand speed - it's FREE...:whistle:

sissy kathy and RyanOh like this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ...but in the event that doesn't work, then yes you need to pull the pickguard. That will also pull the pots. In the picture below you can see the square hole at 3 o'clock; give a little squirt of detox, tiny, hardly any at all, and work the pot while it's still damp. Treat each pot and go on to the next. If your bass has a preamp, remove the battery first.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPjPwZqrjnuZvJ-zcgbZ9Rd6PD_yl-vndiqDmNJP8llIbvWlJiaA.

Sharknose79 likes this.
  4. Randy Howard

Randy Howard

Apr 2, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

Randy

RyanOh likes this.